1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg drop experiment

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    I have to design an egg drop experiment for a teaching project. I'll describe the project and how everything works, then the students have about half an hour to create a container to shelter the egg so that it doesn't break from a fall of about 20 feet. The sticking point is the time limit. I obviously want them to build contraptions that will work, but I don't know what materials to give them for them to build it in that short of a time without making it TOO easy (like giving them a box and cotton balls; they'd know exactly what to do with it, and wouldn't have to work for it at all). Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2
    I had a teacher that did the same project exept he asked us to use our own materials from home. I had a friend who used chopsticks, it failed horribly.

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    I know someone who used put the egg in a plastic peanut butter case, and the peanut butter protected the egg.

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4
    If you offer only two materials, they will surely know what to do ...the only thing to do...offer them a bunch of things!

cotton
    foam
    carton box
    wire (exo-skeleton)
    rubber bands (exo-skeleton suspension system)
    bubble wrap
    plastic bag (parachute idea)
    thread or thin rope (parachute idea)

etc, etc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook