Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg drop experiment

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    I have to design an egg drop experiment for a teaching project. I'll describe the project and how everything works, then the students have about half an hour to create a container to shelter the egg so that it doesn't break from a fall of about 20 feet. The sticking point is the time limit. I obviously want them to build contraptions that will work, but I don't know what materials to give them for them to build it in that short of a time without making it TOO easy (like giving them a box and cotton balls; they'd know exactly what to do with it, and wouldn't have to work for it at all). Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2
    I had a teacher that did the same project exept he asked us to use our own materials from home. I had a friend who used chopsticks, it failed horribly.

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    I know someone who used put the egg in a plastic peanut butter case, and the peanut butter protected the egg.

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4
    If you offer only two materials, they will surely know what to do ...the only thing to do...offer them a bunch of things!

cotton
    foam
    carton box
    wire (exo-skeleton)
    rubber bands (exo-skeleton suspension system)
    bubble wrap
    plastic bag (parachute idea)
    thread or thin rope (parachute idea)

etc, etc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook