1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg Drop lab: HELP

1. Jun 16, 2005 #1
    HELP me PLease
    I have my final in my class tomorow and im freaking out. it is an Egg Drop lad. we are droping it from 10m high and we can only use 200g (includes Egg)im not very good at physics and i have to get a good grade can someone give me an idea on what to make for my package? i cant use buble wrap and styrofoam smaller than a golf ball.
    i really have no idea what im doing
    HELP ME

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2

eax

put the egg in a bag(preferably ziplock or something similer) fill with air and close very tite and well. Tape the openning end just incase. Now sorround the rest with 6 ziplock bags filled with air and closed tite for top, bottem, left, right, front, and back of the bag with egg inside.

If you try this tell me if it works.

Good luck!

4. Jun 16, 2005 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember, it's not the fall, but the sudden stop at the end, that hurts.

If you make the stop less sudden, the egg will probably survive.

Parachutes are easy.

5. Jun 16, 2005 #4

eax

I have never seen a parachute actually work well.

6. Jun 19, 2005 #5
    wrap the egg in guzz or something soft and then get an old pillow that has stuffing in it, take the stuffing out and then put the stuffing in a plastic bag and put the egg in a beer bottle holder and then put it in the middle of it. my friend did it and her egg never broke.

7. Jun 20, 2005 #6
    Rmember, parachutes are able to work because the paracuter( ok I dont know what to call him) achieves terminal velocity due to viscous forces acting on the parachute. The larger the surface area of the eggs, the faster it achieves terminal velocity and the smaller the terminal velocity. So you need a large surface area. Maybe you can stick the eggs to a VERY large piece of cardboard. You should bear in mind to stick them to the edges so the cardboard wouldnt flip.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?