Build a 200g Egg Drop Package for 10m High

In summary, the person is seeking help for their physics final which involves an egg drop from 10m using only 200g of materials. They are not good at physics and are looking for ideas on how to construct their package. Suggestions include using ziplock bags filled with air, creating a makeshift parachute with a pillow and beer bottle holder, and sticking the eggs to a large piece of cardboard to increase surface area and decrease terminal velocity.
CrewGirl
HELP me PLease
I have my final in my class tomorow and I am freaking out. it is an Egg Drop lad. we are droping it from 10m high and we can only use 200g (includes Egg)im not very good at physics and i have to get a good grade can someone give me an idea on what to make for my package? i can't use buble wrap and styrofoam smaller than a golf ball.
i really have no idea what I am doing
HELP ME

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
put the egg in a bag(preferably ziplock or something similer) fill with air and close very tite and well. Tape the openning end just incase. Now sorround the rest with 6 ziplock bags filled with air and closed tite for top, bottem, left, right, front, and back of the bag with egg inside.

If you try this tell me if it works.

Good luck!

Remember, it's not the fall, but the sudden stop at the end, that hurts.

If you make the stop less sudden, the egg will probably survive.

Parachutes are easy.

I have never seen a parachute actually work well.

wrap the egg in guzz or something soft and then get an old pillow that has stuffing in it, take the stuffing out and then put the stuffing in a plastic bag and put the egg in a beer bottle holder and then put it in the middle of it. my friend did it and her egg never broke.

Rmember, parachutes are able to work because the paracuter( ok I don't know what to call him) achieves terminal velocity due to viscous forces acting on the parachute. The larger the surface area of the eggs, the faster it achieves terminal velocity and the smaller the terminal velocity. So you need a large surface area. Maybe you can stick the eggs to a VERY large piece of cardboard. You should bear in mind to stick them to the edges so the cardboard wouldn't flip.

1. How do I choose the materials for my egg drop package?

The materials you choose for your egg drop package should be lightweight, yet strong enough to withstand a 10m drop. Some common materials used for egg drop packages include foam, paper, and plastic. Consider using a combination of these materials to create a sturdy and cushioned package for your egg.

2. How should I design my egg drop package to prevent the egg from breaking?

The most important factor in preventing the egg from breaking is to provide enough cushioning to absorb the impact of the drop. Consider using materials such as cotton balls, bubble wrap, or shredded paper to create a soft landing for the egg. You can also design your package with a crumple zone or shock absorbers to further protect the egg.

3. How can I ensure that my egg drop package weighs exactly 200g?

To ensure that your egg drop package weighs 200g, you can use a kitchen scale to weigh each individual material before assembling your package. Make sure to account for the weight of any adhesives or tape used to secure the materials together. You can also double check the weight of your package before the drop to make any necessary adjustments.

4. Can I use any size or type of egg for this experiment?

It is recommended to use a standard size chicken egg for this experiment. This will allow for consistency and easier comparison between different egg drop packages. However, you can also use other types of eggs such as duck or quail eggs, just make sure to adjust the weight of your package accordingly.

5. What is the best way to drop my egg drop package from a 10m height?

The best way to drop your egg drop package from a 10m height is to use a ladder or tall structure to ensure a straight and consistent drop. Make sure to stand at a safe distance and have a clear landing area for the egg. You can also have a partner assist you in dropping the package to ensure a smooth and controlled drop.