1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg Drop Project Design Help

1. Nov 1, 2015 #1
    Objective:
    Design/construct container to safely land a raw egg when dropped onto pavement from top of bleachers.
    Materials:
    Standard Toothpicks, Standard Straight Drinking Straws, Standard Sewing Thread, Cardboard, Masking Tape
    Requirements:
    Egg cannot crack.
    Container mass < 30 grams without egg
    Must be pre-made where one is able to put the egg given by the teacher into the container.
    My considerations:
    I am allowed to make a parachute if I would like. I do not know if this is feasible with the given materials. If this is possible, could someone give me insight as to how to approach making a parachute with these materials?

If I do not make a parachute, then my intent must be to distribute the impact as much as possible, since I cannot lessen the impact. Therefore I am considering just using 30 grams of masking tape to make a huge sphere to put around the egg. Would this be a bad idea?

Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to approach this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2015 #2
    The tape idea wouldn't meet the condition of being pre-made.

Have you tried looking on the web for ideas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted