What are some effective designs for an egg drop project using limited materials?

In summary, the objective is to design and construct a container using standard toothpicks, drinking straws, sewing thread, cardboard, and masking tape that can safely land a raw egg when dropped from the top of bleachers onto pavement. The container must meet the requirements of not cracking the egg, having a mass below 30 grams without the egg, and being pre-made for the teacher to add the egg. The student is considering making a parachute but is unsure if it is feasible with the given materials. If not, they plan to use 30 grams of masking tape to create a sphere to distribute the impact. However, this idea may not meet the pre-made requirement. The student is seeking suggestions for the best approach and has considered looking
Digitz
Objective:
Design/construct container to safely land a raw egg when dropped onto pavement from top of bleachers.
Materials:
Standard Toothpicks, Standard Straight Drinking Straws, Standard Sewing Thread, Cardboard, Masking Tape
Requirements:
Egg cannot crack.
Container mass < 30 grams without egg
Must be pre-made where one is able to put the egg given by the teacher into the container.
My considerations:
I am allowed to make a parachute if I would like. I do not know if this is feasible with the given materials. If this is possible, could someone give me insight as to how to approach making a parachute with these materials?

If I do not make a parachute, then my intent must be to distribute the impact as much as possible, since I cannot lessen the impact. Therefore I am considering just using 30 grams of masking tape to make a huge sphere to put around the egg. Would this be a bad idea?

Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The tape idea wouldn't meet the condition of being pre-made.

Have you tried looking on the web for ideas?

1. How do I choose the best materials for my egg drop project?

When choosing materials for your egg drop project, consider the weight, strength, and shock-absorbing properties of the materials. Materials such as bubble wrap, cotton balls, and foam can help cushion the egg during impact. It is also important to test and experiment with different materials to find the best combination for your design.

2. What is the best design for an egg drop project?

There is no one "best" design for an egg drop project as it depends on the materials, constraints, and goals of the project. Some popular designs include using a parachute, creating a structure with multiple layers of shock-absorbing materials, or using a crumple zone to absorb the impact. It is important to research and test different designs to find the most effective one for your project.

3. How do I protect the egg from cracking during the drop?

To protect the egg from cracking during the drop, you can use shock-absorbing materials such as foam, bubble wrap, or cotton balls. It is also important to ensure that the egg is securely fastened within the design to prevent it from moving around and potentially cracking upon impact.

4. Is there a maximum weight limit for the egg drop project?

The weight limit for an egg drop project will depend on the specific guidelines and constraints of the project. It is important to carefully read and follow the guidelines to ensure that your project meets all requirements. Some projects may have a specific weight limit, while others may have no weight limit at all.

5. How can I incorporate physics principles into my egg drop project design?

There are many ways to incorporate physics principles into your egg drop project design. For example, you can use Newton's laws of motion to explain the forces acting on the egg during the drop, or you can use principles of energy and momentum to calculate the impact force on the egg. You can also use concepts such as gravity, air resistance, and terminal velocity to inform your design choices.