Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg drop project help

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    I have an egg drop project, in which we make a container on the ground that can cushion the fall of the egg. The limits are: 8 cm height max, and 45 x 45 cm box max area and the egg must not break even if it bounces out after hitting the container. It'll be dropped first from a height of 2 meters, then 4 meters. I got a 7 cm tall box and filled it with bubble wrap, and tried dropping it from 2 meters. Problem is, the egg bounces out every time and breaks when test out from 2 meters from . Is there any way I can prevent the egg from bouncing, such as putting something over the bubble wrap?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    Have you tried popping the bubble wrap? Just a suggestion.

4. Nov 17, 2011 #3
    Put a thick layer of very sticky glue over the top layer of bubble wrap. Good luck!

5. Nov 17, 2011 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Hard boil the egg first.

6. Nov 18, 2011 #5
    Have you tried filling the box with those small foam pellets you get in some packaging instead? It should prevent the bouncing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook