Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg drop project

1. Nov 25, 2003 #1
    I have a younger cousin who needs suggestions for an egg drop project. He will be dropping an egg from a certain distance (not sure how high, but not too high), and he has to build a device that will prevent it from breaking.

The requirements are that there are no parachutes, it cannot be more than 35 inches in any direction, it cannot consist primarily of commercial packing, duct tape etc. (although those materials may be used, just only as a small part of the design), and he has to be able to insert/remove the egg without dissasembling the entire device.

Can anyone help me (him) out? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2003 #2
    how about a pillow?

4. Nov 26, 2003 #3
    In junior high my school did the egg drop. our teachers got to drop eggs out of a helecopter. If i remember correctly, I did the following:

I made a cube out of popsickle sticks. I suspended the egg, wraped in those plastic bubbles, in the middle of the cube with rubber bands going to the 4 corners.

The egg survived.

Pan

5. Nov 26, 2003 #4
    I'd make some kind of "chute" for it, maybe out of some coat hanger and panty hose, or something else elastic. You could have it with a wide mouth at the top and then it slowly tapers down as it slows the egg. The bottom you could cushion with something soft like cotton or a sock at the bottom of the chute. Just an idea :smile:

6. Nov 26, 2003 #5
    I knew someone that put an egg inside the hole made by 2 bagels stacked on top of eachother. Thier egg survived. You may want to do something about the exposed parts of the egg, but this person didn't, and it was okay.

7. Nov 26, 2003 #6
    Haha, that might just work! Any suggestions as to what I can do about the exposed areas?

h

8. Nov 26, 2003 #7
    You could use three bagels to cover the entire egg, then use duct tape to hold them all together. But there has got to be some reason why the guy was confident with only 2.

9. Nov 26, 2003 #8
    *shrug* I can try both ways then - quite a uniquely simple idea, I'll see if it works. :smile:

h

10. Mar 22, 2010 #9
    We just did a test for our projects in my physics class.
    The most successful design was to pieces of light foam about 4 inches thick held together by duct tape and fishing line. A small area had been cut out in the middle for the egg to rest in.
    My class was also required to have one hatch that would be opened to retrieve the egg, this person made the foam hinge with the tape and latch with the fishing line.

11. Mar 22, 2010 #10
    I placed the egg in a cup suspended by a group of straws so that it couldn't move. Then, I taped a partially deflated balloon to the bottom of the cup so that it would act as an airbag and absorb all of the impact. Worked perfectly from a height of 30 feet. It was the same concept that the Mars landing rovers used.

edit- wow just realized this was a really old post. Oh well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?