Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg drop strategies

1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    yes, the famous egg drop experiment. i really need help with ideas on what to construct...i was thinking that i would put a small box cushioned inside with toilet paper or tissue paper and lined with folded(like an accordion) paper / inside a bigger...the problem is:
    • The over all dimensions can be no larger than 14 cm
    • The over all weight (without the egg) can not exceed 35 grams.
    • The egg must survive a 4 Meter fall onto a hard surface.
    • The apparatus must be made of paper or paper products
    with the small amount of weight it can be, im not sure it would work...i was also thinking that maybe i should make a parachute to attach to it...or put "wings"

any thoughts?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2
    or maybe attach a parachute???
  4. Oct 18, 2007 #3
    but then that...wouldn't work either since it can only be 14 cm....
  5. Oct 19, 2007 #4
    You should make something like this:

Attached Files:

• egg3.JPG
      File size:
      10.5 KB
  6. Oct 19, 2007 #5
    I'm not sure if i'm supposed to do click on anything on that last post...it says attachments pending approval? anyways...i went around asking other people about this today and a friend suggested that i should make a collapsing box? has anyone ever tried making one? i'm not really sure what it is...
  7. Oct 19, 2007 #6
    A box with a concertina layer of tissue paper on which the egg rests
  8. Oct 19, 2007 #7
    do you (or anyone) have a diagram for this? could you describe how to make one?
  9. Oct 21, 2007 #8
    is it something like this?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?