Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg drop tape and balloons?

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    Anybody know a good way to stop the force from reaching or crushing an egg using poster board tape and balloons? I was thinking bout making a pyramid or rounded pyramid and making the tip heavier and then putting multiple layers of baloons and the egg at the farthest point from impact... Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

That should work okay, as long as you make sure that it can't bounce out.
    Have you considered nesting the balloons? It's not easy to do, but possible.

4. Apr 19, 2007 #3
    How do u nest? I was thinking to make a container inside of the pyramid type thingy that is in the shape of the egg.

5. Apr 19, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

By 'nesting', I meant that you inflate one balloon inside another. If your balloons are big enough that you can force a lubricated egg in through the neck, you can 'stack' balloons inside each other. If they're connected at the neck area, just weight the other end so they land right-side-up.

6. Apr 20, 2007 #5
    I just develop Danger's idea by using 2 balloon. The egg is in the center then in the safest condition

Attached Files:

7. Apr 20, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks, Pixel; that clarifies it nicely. The only difference is that I'd have a partially inflated balloon between the two shown. That's just a redundancy feature in case the outer one breaks or the inner one stretches enough to make contact with the bottom.:cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?