Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg question

1. Jul 27, 2008 #1
    What is the role of egg yolk in mayonniase?
    What happens to the emulsion when the egg yolk was reduced by 50% or omitted? Explain why?

Egg yolk is the emulsifying agent. Without it mayonnaise is basically a vinaigrette. If you omit egg yolk entirely your mayonnaise will not emulsify (thicken), if you reduce it by half, it will still work, but may not be as stable, or as easy to make.

There an intriguing question bugging me.
    Why can't we use use egg yolk instead of GMS( glyceryl monostearate) in margarine.
    I mean GMS is artificial emulsifier so it much be the same as egg yolk ? or egg yolk cannot
    , too oily ??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Here's a better explanation

In response to your questions, after seeing several cooking shows lately where people were creating an emulsion by whisking oil into vinegar or other liquid, I decided to look up the roles of egg yolk and oil in mayonaise since the acid and the oil by itself create an emulsion.

What the egg yolk does is stabilize the emulsion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulsion

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  4. Jul 27, 2008 #3
    yup...eggs are good.

5. Jul 28, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Most likely because margarine is expected to be cheap :smile:

6. Jul 28, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And fake. :biggrin: I'm not even sure if margarine is perishable, or just has to be refrigerated to keep from melting. :uhh:

Oh, and if you made your margarine with egg yolks, it would probably taste more like mayonnaise than butter.

7. Jul 28, 2008 #6
    And then I'm pretty sure it would stop being margarine altogether. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?