Sorting Fresh & Boiled Eggs with an Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses sorting fresh and hard boiled eggs using an incline plane. The equation of conservation of energy is suggested to be used, taking into account the friction loss between the egg shell and incline plane. The coefficient of egg shell and incline plane is also questioned. It is mentioned that fresh and boiled eggs have different mass, resulting in different momentum. The concept of constant terms in the conservation of energy equation is also discussed. Some improvements for the experiment are suggested, such as not calculating the friction between the shell and the inside. Alternative methods for testing the eggs, such as rotating them on a table or stopping their rotation by hand, are also mentioned. The possibility of applying these methods in an automated egg sorter is also
no183

Homework Statement

here i am going to sort out fresh and hard boil egg. i suggested that used incline plane. It is expected that the boil egg will pass through the second positive gradient incline while the fresh egg are not.

Homework Equations

so my question is, what the equation involve.
my first equation i apply is the conservation of energy equation
mgh=1/2mv square - (friction loss between the egg shell and inclide plane (aluminium sheet))
is my equation correct?
what the coefficient of egg shell and incline plane?
on my research, i found out that fresh and boil egg are different in their mass(slightly). as a result the momentum is different in the egg right? so in the conservation of energy equation, what term should be constant and what not? velocity or mass is constant?
is there anything else to improve the experiment?

Physics news on Phys.org
there's friction between the shell and the inside, and kinetic energy will be lost while the inside slowly starts rotating. I wouldn't try to calculate this.

A simpler way to test an egg is to try to rotate it on a table. You can flick a hard boiled egg once with two fingers, and it will keep spinning for a long time. A fresh egg will almost completely come to a stop if you do this.

Another way is to keep the egg rotating for a while (spinning or rolling), then bring it to a sudden stop by hand and then release it. A fresh egg will start to rotate again.

yes agree, the method u mention already tried. it is due to the inertia, but that is by manual method. but now i need is apply this phenomena in the auto egg sorter which use incline.
any idea?

What is the purpose of sorting fresh and boiled eggs with an inclined plane?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine if an inclined plane can effectively and efficiently sort fresh and boiled eggs based on their shape and size.

How does an inclined plane work for sorting eggs?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface tilted at an angle. When eggs are placed on the inclined plane, they will roll down the surface due to the force of gravity. The shape and size of the eggs will determine how far and how fast they roll, allowing for differentiation between fresh and boiled eggs.

What are the benefits of using an inclined plane for sorting eggs?

Using an inclined plane for sorting eggs is a cost-effective and time-efficient method. It does not require any complex machinery and can easily be set up and operated. It also allows for a large number of eggs to be sorted at once, making it ideal for commercial use.

What factors can affect the accuracy of sorting eggs with an inclined plane?

The accuracy of sorting eggs with an inclined plane can be affected by several factors, including the angle of the incline, the surface material of the inclined plane, and the consistency of the eggs' shapes and sizes. It is important to control these factors to ensure accurate results.

How can the results of sorting eggs with an inclined plane be applied in real-life situations?

The results of this experiment can be applied in industries that require the sorting of eggs, such as egg production and processing plants. It can also be used in other sorting processes for objects with varying shapes and sizes, making it a versatile and useful method for various applications.