1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ehrenfest Urn Problem Kramers-Moyal Coefficients and Planck-Fokker Equation

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    "Ehrenfest Urn" Problem Kramers-Moyal Coefficients and Planck-Fokker Equation

(For some reason, i can't get latex to work, and the button that used to be in the text box to use it is gone. :-()

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the "Ehrenfest Urn" Problem, a particle moves randomly in a grid of positions x=ma with m an integer in the range -L < m < L , and with time stamp (tau). The probability when at position m' of a step to the right m' -> m' + 1 is

P_ = 0.5 ( 1 + m / L)

and the probability of a step to the left m' -> m' - 1 is

P_ = 0.5 ( 1 - m / L)

Evaluate the first Four Kramers-Moyal Coefficients for this process. In the continuum limits

a -> 0 , (tau) -> 0 , L -> infinity ,

such that a^2 / (tau) -> 2D and La^2 -> 2 (sigma)^2

show that the Fokker-Plank equation describing the evoloution of the PDF P(x,t) is

(all ds are partial)

dP/dt = (D/(sigma)^2) dP/dx + D (d^2 P)/dx^2

2. Relevant equations
    KM1 = -am/(tau L)
    KM2 = a^2 / tau
    KM3 = -(a^3) m /(tau L)
    KM4 = a^4 / tau

KM3+ tend to zero. KM1 and KM2 are the contributing terms.

dP/dt = lim(tau -> 0) sum[ (from n=1 to infinity) ((-1)^n / n!) (d^n)/(dx^n) [KMn P(x,t)]

3. The attempt at a solution

all i need is a justification for (a m) / (tau L) -> -D/(2 sigma^2)

if you want me to show my working for everything else, i will photgraph it and upload it to imageshack, but that's a lot of hassle for me, and this last step is the bit which is bothering me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?