1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ehrenfest's Theorem

1. Jan 21, 2004 #1
    I have been asked to "find a solution to Ehrenfest's Theorem" (in this case for the expectation value of position, of a particle confined to a circle). What does this mean - what kind of answer should i find?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2004 #2
  4. Jan 22, 2004 #3
    Thankyou, I have searched many times on google and other search engines, and have found (as on the websites you have shown me) that

m*(d^2/dt^2)<x> = <F>

which is a result of the form that I am looking for. But instead of <x> I have <exp(I*theta)>, so a function of theta, as I am interested in a particle confined to a circle. I have not been able to find out whether or not I can still use this same equation (despite my <exp(I*theta)> not being a linear variable like <x>). Please understand my problems with this; I am not trying to get someone else to do my homework for me - if you have never found it hard to do your 'homework', then you are very lucky.

5. Jan 22, 2004 #4
    I don't remember all the details, but I thought for a potential proportional to r^2, you should expect out the classical value for such quantities as force and energy. You might want to try finding the classical value of the force for a particle confined to a circle using classical lagrangian mechanics, I don't think its that hard, and compare this answer to the quantum ananlog. Just an idea.

6. Jan 25, 2004 #5
    thanks!

Thanks spdf13,
    I've tried what you said and I think it has worked...
    Cheers!
    :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?