1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Eigen Values of a 2x2 Matrix

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A=[1 0] Calculate
    [2 3]
    a) Eigenvalues of A
    b) Eigenvectors of A
    c) Eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A^3

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had no idea what I was doing, but I saw someone attempt one somewhere and used the same method

Getting x=3 and 1 for part a)

However, I have no idea if this is correct, or even if it is in the correct format. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2
    The eigenvalues of a matrix can be found as follows:

[tex] A\vec{x} = \lambda\vec{x} [/tex]

[tex] (A - \lambda I) \vec{x} = 0 [/tex]

Now we know that this equation will only have a nontrivial solution if:

[tex] det(A - \lambda I) = 0 [/tex]

So to look at your question, we consider:

[tex] \left|\begin{array}{cc}1-\lambda&0\\2&{3-\lambda} \end{array}\right| = 0 [/tex]

[tex] (1 - \lambda)(3 - \lambda) - 0 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \lambda = 1, 3 [/tex]

So you are right.

To find the eigenvectors, we go back and solve this equation:

[tex] (A - \lambda I) \vec{x} = 0 [/tex]

for each [itex] \lambda [/itex] in turn.

4. Aug 4, 2010 #3
    Yes, that's correct. The eigenvalues of a matrix A are those that satisfy the "characteristic equation"

[tex] |\lambda \textbf{I} - \textbf{A}| = 0. [/tex]

So for your A, we have

[tex] (\lambda - 1)(\lambda - 3) - (0)(-2) = (\lambda - 1)(\lambda - 3) = 0. [/tex]

So the eigenvalues of A are [tex] \lambda_1 = 1 [/tex] and [tex] \lambda_2 = 3. [/tex]

For part (b), the eigenvectors of A are all vectors in the nullspace of [tex]\lambda \textbf{I} - \textbf{A}, [/tex] i.e., they satisfy the equationthe equation

[tex] (\lambda \textbf{I} - \textbf{A})\vec{x} = \vec{0}. [/tex]

EDIT: I didn't see hgfalling's post until after I'd already posted...grrr....haha. Well here's mine for what it's worth anyways.

5. Aug 4, 2010 #4
    Ok, thanks for the help, but I still dont really understand the eigenvectors part of it. It would be useful if someone could write out an example. And for the A^3 bit is it the same as parts a) and b) but for AxAxA?

6. Aug 4, 2010 #5
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook