Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Eigen Values of a 2x2 Matrix

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A=[1 0] Calculate
    [2 3]
    a) Eigenvalues of A
    b) Eigenvectors of A
    c) Eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A^3

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had no idea what I was doing, but I saw someone attempt one somewhere and used the same method

Getting x=3 and 1 for part a)

However, I have no idea if this is correct, or even if it is in the correct format. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2
    The eigenvalues of a matrix can be found as follows:

[tex] A\vec{x} = \lambda\vec{x} [/tex]

[tex] (A - \lambda I) \vec{x} = 0 [/tex]

Now we know that this equation will only have a nontrivial solution if:

[tex] det(A - \lambda I) = 0 [/tex]

So to look at your question, we consider:

[tex] \left|\begin{array}{cc}1-\lambda&0\\2&{3-\lambda} \end{array}\right| = 0 [/tex]

[tex] (1 - \lambda)(3 - \lambda) - 0 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \lambda = 1, 3 [/tex]

So you are right.

To find the eigenvectors, we go back and solve this equation:

[tex] (A - \lambda I) \vec{x} = 0 [/tex]

for each [itex] \lambda [/itex] in turn.

4. Aug 4, 2010 #3
    Yes, that's correct. The eigenvalues of a matrix A are those that satisfy the "characteristic equation"

[tex] |\lambda \textbf{I} - \textbf{A}| = 0. [/tex]

So for your A, we have

[tex] (\lambda - 1)(\lambda - 3) - (0)(-2) = (\lambda - 1)(\lambda - 3) = 0. [/tex]

So the eigenvalues of A are [tex] \lambda_1 = 1 [/tex] and [tex] \lambda_2 = 3. [/tex]

For part (b), the eigenvectors of A are all vectors in the nullspace of [tex]\lambda \textbf{I} - \textbf{A}, [/tex] i.e., they satisfy the equationthe equation

[tex] (\lambda \textbf{I} - \textbf{A})\vec{x} = \vec{0}. [/tex]

EDIT: I didn't see hgfalling's post until after I'd already posted...grrr....haha. Well here's mine for what it's worth anyways.

5. Aug 4, 2010 #4
    Ok, thanks for the help, but I still dont really understand the eigenvectors part of it. It would be useful if someone could write out an example. And for the A^3 bit is it the same as parts a) and b) but for AxAxA?

6. Aug 4, 2010 #5
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook