What is the rate law for the Eigen-Wilkins reaction mechanism?

• Thread starter Amok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the rate law for the Eigen-Wilkins reaction mechanism. The Wikipedia entry on the topic is confusing, but the rate law is correct. It is believed that the mechanism involves both a steady-state approximation and a pre-equilibrium approximation. The equation for the rate law is similar to the Michaelis-Menten equation used in biochemistry. However, the derivation for the MM equation only uses the steady-state approximation, while the Eigen-Wilkins equation may use both approximations. The original article that gives the derivation mentions the use of a pre-equilibrium, but the speaker is unsure if they missed something and will try again.
Amok
Hi,

Can anyone help derive the rate law for the Eigen wilkins reaction mechanism? The derivation in the wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigen-Wilkins_Mechanism) is confusing, but the rate law is correct. I can't figure out if they make a "steady-state" approximation or a pre-equilibrium approximation, but I'm pretty sure it's both (weird).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The equation looks very similar to the Michaelis-Menten (MM) equation used in biochemistry if you substitute [Y] for , [M]tot for [E]0, and KE for 1/KM (see equation 11 from the link below). The MM equation is similarly derived by assuming a mechanism whereby two molecules form an initial encounter complex that converts to product in the rate limiting step. The MM equation can be derived solely by using the steady-state approximation, for example, see the following site for a derivation: http://biofitweb.cox-thurmond.net/FittingRoom/MMderivation.htm

I tried it and it's not exactly the same. Unfortunately I don't have access to the original article that gives the derivation, but in the abstract they say they use a pre-equilbirum. But maybe I missed something, I'll try it again.

What is the Eigen-Wilkins mechanism?

The Eigen-Wilkins mechanism, also known as the Eigen mechanism, is a model proposed by German biophysicist Manfred Eigen and British chemist Leslie Orgel in the 1960s. It explains how self-replicating molecules, such as RNA, can evolve under certain conditions.

How does the Eigen-Wilkins mechanism work?

The mechanism involves the formation of a self-replicating system consisting of two types of molecules: an information carrier (such as RNA) and a catalyst (such as a protein). The information carrier stores genetic information that can be replicated, while the catalyst aids in the replication process. As the system replicates, errors can occur, leading to variations and potential evolution.

What are the implications of the Eigen-Wilkins mechanism?

The Eigen-Wilkins mechanism has significant implications in understanding the origins of life and the evolution of self-replicating molecules. It also has practical applications in the development of artificial self-replicating systems for molecular engineering and nanotechnology.

What evidence supports the Eigen-Wilkins mechanism?

Experimental studies and mathematical models have provided evidence for the plausibility of the Eigen-Wilkins mechanism. For example, studies have shown that RNA replication can occur spontaneously under certain conditions, and computational models have demonstrated the potential for self-replicating systems to evolve.

Are there any criticisms or limitations of the Eigen-Wilkins mechanism?

Some researchers have proposed alternative models for the origins of self-replication, and the Eigen-Wilkins mechanism has been criticized for oversimplifying the complexity of biological systems. Additionally, the mechanism does not fully explain the origins of the information contained in self-replicating molecules.