Eigenbasis 3 x 3 Matrix

• Thread starter MikeDietrich
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
Here, (A- I)v= \begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 0 \\ -5 & -1 & 2 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a \\ b \\ c\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ -5a- b+ 2c \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} so a= b= 0 and c is arbitrary. We can take c= 1 so that v= <0, 0, 1> as a "generalized eigenvector". Now, for that to work, we need \begin{bmatrix}a &
MikeDietrich

Homework Statement

Find all real eigenvalues, the basis for each eigenspace, and an eigenbasis.

A = [ 1 0 0 ## -5 0 2 ## 0 0 1] Note: ## starts a new row

Homework Equations

det A = 0
E = N ($I-A) where $ = eigenvector

The Attempt at a Solution

So, after calculating detA = 0 I determined $_1=1, $_2=1, and $_3=0 where $ = eigenvector.

I then calculated E_1 = [1 1/5 2/5 ## 0 0 0 ## 0 0 0] [ v_1 ## v_2 ## v_3] = [0 ## 0 ## 0] therefore, E_1 = span [1 ## -5 ## 0]

E_0 = [1 0 0 ## 0 0 1 ## 0 0 0][ v_1 ## v_2 ## v_3] = [0 ## 0 ## 0] therefore, E_0 = span [0 ## 1 ## 0]

At this point I assumed there is no eigenbasis since there are less unique eigenvalues then 3 (3 x 3 matrix). However, when I plug the matrix into an online eigenvalue calculator I get:
Eigenbasis: [0 ## 1 ## 0], [1 ## -5 ## 0], [0 ## 2 ## 1].

Where did the [0 ## 2 ## 1] come from?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
MikeDietrich said:

Homework Statement

Find all real eigenvalues, the basis for each eigenspace, and an eigenbasis.

A = [ 1 0 0 ## -5 0 2 ## 0 0 1] Note: ## starts a new row

Homework Equations

det A = 0
E = N ($I-A) where $ = eigenvector

The Attempt at a Solution

So, after calculating detA = 0 I determined $_1=1, $_2=1, and $_3=0 where $ = eigenvector.
No, these are eigenvalues.
MikeDietrich said:
I then calculated E_1 = [1 1/5 2/5 ## 0 0 0 ## 0 0 0] [ v_1 ## v_2 ## v_3] = [0 ## 0 ## 0] therefore, E_1 = span [1 ## -5 ## 0]

E_0 = [1 0 0 ## 0 0 1 ## 0 0 0][ v_1 ## v_2 ## v_3] = [0 ## 0 ## 0] therefore, E_0 = span [0 ## 1 ## 0]

At this point I assumed there is no eigenbasis since there are less unique eigenvalues then 3 (3 x 3 matrix). However, when I plug the matrix into an online eigenvalue calculator I get:
Eigenbasis: [0 ## 1 ## 0], [1 ## -5 ## 0], [0 ## 2 ## 1].

Where did the [0 ## 2 ## 1] come from?
It must be one of the eigenvectors associated with the eigenvalue 1. The eigenvector <0, 1, 0> is associated with the eigenvalue 0.

The eigenspace for the eigenvalue 1 is two-dimensional, so there are two eigenvectors. The ones I get are <-1, 5, 0> and <2, 0, 5>. Other pairs are possible.

Thanks Mark... you are correct... I did mean eigenvalue (not eigenvector). I can now see how to get <2, 0, 5> but how did you know the eigenspace was two dimensional for the eigenvalue of 1? For example, the matrix A = [1 1 0 ## 0 1 1 ## 0 0 1] has an eigenvalue equal to 1 and there is only one eigenvector (at least the only one I have is <1, 0, 0>).

Last edited:
Wait. I think I have it. It is 2D because that is the multiplicity of the eigenvalue, correct?

Look at the matrix A - 1I, which is
[0 0 0]
[-5 -1 2]
[0 0 0]

(We're trying to solve (A - 1I)x = 0, for x.)

If you swap the 1st and 2nd rows and row reduce, you get
[1 1/5 -2/5]
[0 0 0]
[0 0 0]

The first row says
x1 + (1/5)x2 - (2/5)x3 = 0
or equivalently,
x1 = (-1/5)x2 + (2/5)x3
x2 and x3 are arbitrary, so I can write the system as

x1 = (-1/5)x2 + (2/5)x3
x2 = ...x2
x3 = ......x3

Since there are two free variables, x2 and x3, the dimension of the eigenspace for [itex]\lambda = 1[/itex] is 2. The vectors <-1/5, 1, 0> and <2/5, 0, 1> form a basis for this space, and you might notice that I picked these coordinates off the equations just above.

Any multiples of these vectors also work, so the basis could also be the vectors <-1, 5, 0> and <2, 0, 5>.

You can check that these vectors work by showing that A*u1 = 1*u1 and A*u2 = 1*u2, where u1 and u2 are the vectors above (either pair).

There is a difference between "algebraic multiplicity" and "geometric multiplicity". The first, "algebraic multiplicity" is the multiplicity of the eigenvalue as a root of the characteristic equation. The second, "geometric multiplicity" is the dimension of the subspace of eigenvectors corresponding to a specific eigenvalue. They are NOT necessarily the same- if an eigenvalue has "algebraic multiplicity" n, then it may have "geometric multiplicty" any integer from 1 to n.
For example, the matrices
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
all have \(\displaystyle (\lambda- 1)^3= 0\) as characteristic equation so eigenvalue 1 with algebraic multiplicity 3. The first has all of R3 as "eigenspace", the second has a two dimensional eigenspace and the third a one dimensional eigenspace.

Personally, I prefer to find eigenvectors directly from the defintions: [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex].

With
[tex]A= \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ -5 & 0 & 2 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
we must have
[tex]Av= \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ -5 & 0 & 2 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}x \\ -5x+ 2z \\ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

That is equivalent to the three equations x= x, -5x+ 2z= y, and z= z. The first and last tell us nothing, of course, so it reduces to -5x+ 2z= y. Then <x, y, z>= <x, -5x+ 2z, z>= <x, -5x, 0>+ <0, 2z, z>= x<1, -5, 0>+ z<0, 2, 1>.

Yes, the eigenspace corresponding to eigenvalue 1 is spanned by <1, -5, 0> and <0, 2, 1> and so has dimension 2. Either there is another eigenvalue or A cannot be diagonalized. Assuming there is no other eigenvalue, then it can be put into the "Jordan normal form"
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 \\0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

To do that you need to use a matrix, P, whose first two columns are the eigenvectors found and whose third column is a "generalized eigenvector", a vector v, such that (A- I)v is an eigenvector.

What is an Eigenbasis 3 x 3 Matrix?

An Eigenbasis 3 x 3 Matrix is a type of matrix that represents a linear transformation in three-dimensional space. It is used to find the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of a matrix, which are important in solving many mathematical problems.

How is an Eigenbasis 3 x 3 Matrix calculated?

To calculate an Eigenbasis 3 x 3 Matrix, you first need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix. Then, for each eigenvalue, you can find the corresponding eigenvectors. These eigenvectors form the columns of the Eigenbasis 3 x 3 Matrix.

What is the significance of an Eigenbasis 3 x 3 Matrix in linear algebra?

The Eigenbasis 3 x 3 Matrix is important in linear algebra because it allows us to transform a complicated matrix into a simpler diagonal matrix. This makes it easier to solve many mathematical problems involving matrices.

Can an Eigenbasis 3 x 3 Matrix have more than 3 eigenvalues?

Yes, an Eigenbasis 3 x 3 Matrix can have more than 3 eigenvalues. In fact, the number of eigenvalues for any matrix is equal to its dimension. So, a 3 x 3 matrix can have up to 3 eigenvalues, while a 4 x 4 matrix can have up to 4 eigenvalues.

What are some real-world applications of the Eigenbasis 3 x 3 Matrix?

The Eigenbasis 3 x 3 Matrix has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used in designing electrical circuits, analyzing vibration modes of structures, and in 3D computer graphics for transformations and animations.