1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Eigenfrequency calculation

1. Jul 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the eigenfrequency of the disc with mass m = 20 kg of fig. 11-38. Assume that the disc doesn't slides.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8408/86061698.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    The correct answer is 1.01.

3. The attempt at a solution
    If the angle [tex] \theta [/tex] is measured in radians then the distance travelled downwards is [tex] R \cdot \theta [/tex], now Newton in the direction of the spring leads to:

[tex] m R \ddot{ \theta} + k R \theta = 0[/tex]

Thus the eigenfrequency is:

[tex] \omega = \sqrt{ \frac{kR }{mR} } = \sqrt{60} [/tex]

[tex]2\pi f= \omega \rightarrow f= \frac{\sqrt{60} }{2 \pi} = 1.23 Hz.[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

There has to be a torque on the disk if it's going to rotate instead of just slide. That means there's another force on the disk that you need to account for.

4. Jul 4, 2010 #3
    But in the picture there's no torque given, so the exercise is wrong?

5. Jul 4, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The picture doesn't show any of the forces and torques. As with every dynamics problem, you need to begin the analysis of the situation by identifying what forces are involved and go from there.

6. Jul 4, 2010 #5
    Well I've got the gravity force and the spring force, but both go through in the center of the disc and

[tex] \sum M_{com} =I \ddot{\theta} [/tex]

is then zero. What am I doing wrong?

7. Jul 4, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're still missing a few forces. Think about the disk and the surface it's rolling on.

8. Jul 4, 2010 #7
    But there isn't any information about friction forces, right? Then there's the normal force but it's perpendicular to the surface so it doesn't matter, right?

9. Jul 4, 2010 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

There's information about friction. The problem states that the disc doesn't slide.

10. Jul 4, 2010 #9
    So the friction force is mg*sin(30)?

11. Jul 4, 2010 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No. Just call it F for now. Write down the equations of motion for the disc.

12. Jul 7, 2010 #11
    I got it thanks, Vela. I used sum of moments is zero around the contact point of the disc and newton along the direction of the disc, eliminated F and transformed the eigenfequency to Hertz this results in 1.006 Hz = 1.01 Hz.

13. Jul 7, 2010 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The sum of the moments about the contact point isn't 0 if the disc accelerates.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook