Eigenfunction Equation with Boundary Conditions

In summary, the conversation is about finding the eigenvalues and associated normalised eigenfunctions of the operator L, with a specific equation and boundary conditions. The person has substituted a variable and solved for the eigenvalue equation, but is unsure if they are on the right track as their solution for X_n seems incorrect.
ijustlost
I've been going round in circles with this problem for days:

Find the eigenvalues and associated normalised eigenfunctions of the operator L:

[tex]L_y = x^2 y'' + 2 xy' + \frac{y}{4}[/tex]

Boundary conditions [tex]y(1)=y(e)=0[/tex]

So what I've done:
substitute [tex]x = \exp(t)[/tex]

Then [tex]L_y = \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} + \frac{dy}{dt} + \frac{y}{4}[/tex] where the differentials are now y wrt t

The eigenvalue equation is [tex]L_y = X_n y[/tex] where [tex]X_n[/tex] are my eigenvalues

Then I solve [tex]y'' + y' + (1/4 - X_n)y = 0[/tex]

and get [tex]y = \exp (-1/2 t) (A \exp(+\sqrt(X_n)t) + B \exp(-\sqrt(X_n)t)[/tex]

Applying the boundary problems I find B = - A

and that [tex]X_n == 0[/tex]. Which doesn't seem right!

Am I on the right track here or have I missed the point totally!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help? Please say if i need to give more info on the problem

ijustlost said:
I've been going round in circles with this problem for days:

Find the eigenvalues and associated normalised eigenfunctions of the operator L:

[tex]L_y = x^2 y'' + 2 xy' + \frac{y}{4}[/tex]

Boundary conditions [tex]y(1)=y(e)=0[/tex]

So what I've done:
substitute [tex]x = \exp(t)[/tex]

Then [tex]L_y = \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} + \frac{dy}{dt} + \frac{y}{4}[/tex] where the differentials are now y wrt t

The eigenvalue equation is [tex]L_y = X_n y[/tex] where [tex]X_n[/tex] are my eigenvalues

Then I solve [tex]y'' + y' + (1/4 - X_n)y = 0[/tex]
And your boundary conditions are now y(0)= y(1)= 0.

and get [tex]y = \exp (-1/2 t) (A \exp(+\sqrt(X_n)t) + B \exp(-\sqrt(X_n)t)[/tex]

Applying the boundary problems I find B = - A

and that [tex]X_n == 0[/tex]. Which doesn't seem right!

Am I on the right track here or have I missed the point totally!
You're doing fine except that you are ASSUMING that Xn is not negative (since you are taking its square root). What happens if Xn is negative?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an eigenfunction equation?

An eigenfunction equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an operator and its corresponding eigenfunctions. It is used to find the possible values of a physical quantity that can be measured in a given system.

2. What is the significance of eigenfunctions in physics?

Eigenfunctions play a crucial role in quantum mechanics, as they represent the possible states of a physical system. They also allow us to calculate the probabilities of measuring certain values for a physical quantity, such as the position or momentum of a particle.

3. How is an eigenfunction equation solved?

An eigenfunction equation is solved by finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions of the operator. This is typically done through the use of mathematical techniques, such as diagonalization or the method of separation of variables.

4. Can an eigenfunction equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, an eigenfunction equation can have multiple solutions, each corresponding to a different eigenvalue. This is because there can be multiple possible states for a physical system, each with its own unique eigenfunction and eigenvalue.

5. What is the physical interpretation of eigenfunctions?

The physical interpretation of eigenfunctions is that they represent the possible states of a physical system in terms of eigenvalues. These eigenvalues correspond to the possible values that can be measured for a physical quantity, giving us insight into the behavior and properties of the system.