Is Ψ2Px an Eigenfunction of L2 or Lz in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of operators and eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics, specifically in relation to the real wave function Ψ2Px and its potential as an eigenfunction of L2 or Lz. The notation and terminology used are also explained, including the use of quantum numbers and the spdf notation. The conversation ends with a reminder that the individual must do their own work and research in order to fully understand the concepts being discussed.
kenyanchemist
hi, am major new on quantum mechanics. please help me understand. is the real wave function
Ψ2Px= [Ψ2p+1 +Ψ2p-1]1/2 an eigen function of L2 or Lz?
if so, how is it?
and if so kindly explain the values of l and m
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question - did you apply the operators to find out?

If I am reading your notation correctly as:
##\psi_{2p,x} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\psi_{2p,+1}+\psi_{2p,-1}\right)##
This says that the 2p state for, say, a hydrogen atom, is equally likely to involve the electron spin up or spin down.
The "2" is the energy eigenstate number, the "p" is from "s,p,d,f..." notation, and is the orbital angular momentum state number. You can look these up.

Likes bhobba
By all means tell me more... you are being a major help.
So how would I go about applying
And from the explanation you've just given above am guessing l and m are normal quantum number values

Let's say we have an operator [itex]A[/itex], an eigenvalue [itex]a[/itex] and the corresponding eigenfunction [itex]\psi_a[/itex]. How does the eigenvalue equation look like?

What do you get if you replace [itex]A[/itex] by [itex]H, L^2[/itex] or [itex]L_z[/itex] and [itex]\psi_a[/itex] by [itex]\psi_{n,l,m}[/itex]?

Likes bhobba
Oh and the entire equation in the brackets are to the power of 1/2 (square root) not multiplied by the root of 1/2
Sorry I think there was a font issue there

the entire equation in the brackets are to the power of 1/2 (square root) not multiplied by the root of 1/2
Sorry I think there was a font issue there
No - I was just assuming someone made a mistake.

What you wrote was:

Ψ2Px= [Ψ2p+1 +Ψ2p-1]1/2

Another interpretation would be: ##\psi_{2px} = \left[ \psi_{2p+1}+\psi_{2p-1}\right]^{1/2}##
... but that does not make any sense, though it looks like it can be used to answer the questions.

So how would I go about applying
... how would you normally go about applying an operator?
(By the time you get to see angular momentum in QM, you have met operators and how to apply them: go back through your notes.)

And from the explanation you've just given above am guessing l and m are normal quantum number values
... have you looked up "spdf notation" yet?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_configuration

The quantum numbers for an atomic state are n,l,m(,s) - so ##H\psi_{nlm} = E_n\psi_{nlm}##
... for hydrogen, ##E_n=-13.6\text{eV}/n^2##. The advantage of doing QM this way is that you don't have to do lots of differentiating and integrating.
Also see: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/qangm.html

Note: you have received some suggestions and some questions designed to help you.
If you do not follow suggestions and do not answer questions, we cannot help you.
We can only point in the right sort of direction - you have to do the work.

Last edited:
Likes kenyanchemist
Yes I have followed the your suggestions and I have checked out the spdf notations... it has been a great help...thanks alot

1. What is an eigenfunction of the L2 operator?

An eigenfunction of the L2 operator is a function that, when operated on by the L2 operator, yields a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the L2 operator acts on the eigenfunction by stretching or shrinking it, but does not change its shape.

2. How is an eigenfunction of the L2 operator different from other functions?

An eigenfunction of the L2 operator is unique in that it is a special type of function that maintains its shape when operated on by the L2 operator. Other functions may change in shape or form when operated on by the L2 operator.

3. Can any function be an eigenfunction of the L2 operator?

No, not every function can be an eigenfunction of the L2 operator. Only certain functions with specific properties, such as being square integrable, can be eigenfunctions of the L2 operator.

4. What is the significance of eigenfunctions of the L2 operator?

Eigenfunctions of the L2 operator are important in functional analysis and quantum mechanics, as they play a key role in understanding the behavior and properties of linear operators. They also have applications in solving differential equations and in the study of harmonic analysis.

5. How are eigenfunctions of the L2 operator used in practical applications?

Eigenfunctions of the L2 operator have many practical applications, such as in signal processing, image processing, and data compression. They are also used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy states of particles in a physical system.