1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenfunctions and ODE.

1. Jan 19, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the following ODE:
    y′′−2xy′+2αy=0
    I'd like to determine the first three eigenfunctions.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution y(x) may be recursively represented as:
    an+2=an(2n−2α)/[(n+2)(n+1)]
    I have found the eigenvalues to be −2α, however I find the manner whereby the eigenfunctions are determined to be rather perplexing. I'd sincerely appreciate an explanation. For instance, I know that for α=0, a2=a0(0−0)/2, but why would that entail y0(x)=a0? I mean, how was that derived?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Whenever you have a recurrence of the form
    [tex]
    a_{n+2} = F(n)a_n
    [/tex]
    then you know immediately that if [itex]a_n = 0[/itex] or [itex]F(n) = 0[/itex] then [itex]a_{n + 2m} = 0[/itex] for all [itex]m \geq 0[/itex].

Starting from [itex]a_0[/itex] will give you the even terms [itex]a_{2n}[/itex], but those terms don't affect the odd terms [itex]a_{2n+1}[/itex], which are obtained by starting from [itex]a_1[/itex]. Here we have a second-order linear ODE, so we expect that for each [itex]\alpha[/itex] there will be two linearly independent solutions. We can define these to be [itex]E_\alpha(x)[/itex] which is obtained by taking [itex]a_0 = 1[/itex] and [itex]a_1 = 0[/itex] and [itex]O_\alpha(x)[/itex] which is obtained by taking [itex]a_0 = 0[/itex] and [itex]a_1 = 1[/itex].

Thus for [itex]\alpha = 0[/itex] we have [itex]E_0(x) = 1[/itex] and [itex]O_0(x) = x + \frac13 x^3 + \dots[/itex], and the general solution will be [itex]cE_0(x) + dO_0(x)[/itex]. In fact we can solve the ODE analytically when [itex]\alpha = 0[/itex] to find that
    [tex]
    O_0(x) = \int_0^x \exp(u^2)\,\mathrm{d}u.
    [/tex]

You can see that if [itex]\alpha[/itex] is an even positive integer then the even series terminates, and if [itex]\alpha[/itex] is an odd positive integer then the odd series terminates, and if [itex]\alpha[/itex] is not a positive integer then neither series terminates.

4. Jan 19, 2014 #3
    I am sorry, but I am not really following. I pretty much lost you at "thus...". In any case, I happen to know that the first three eigenfunctions are: a0, a1x and a0(1-2x2). If you could explain to me how these were obtained I'd be grateful.

5. Jan 19, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

When ##\alpha=0##, if you write out the series solution, you get
    $$y = a_0(1) + a_1\left(x + \frac{x^3}{3} + \cdots\right).$$ This is of the form ##y = a_0 y_1 + a_1 y_2## where ##a_0## and ##a_1## are arbitrary constants and ##y_1=1## and ##y_2=x+\cdots## are the two linearly independent solutions.

For this problem, you're apparently looking for polynomial solutions. For ##\alpha=0##, you can do this be setting ##a_1=0## to get rid of the infinite series.

It turns out, you can obtain polynomial solutions for only certain values of ##\alpha##. You should be able to deduce what these values are from the recurrence relation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted