Eigenfunctions & Potential Diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of the potential that could lead to a given stationary state (eigenfunction) Ψ(x). The participants consider three potential graphs and discuss the characteristics of each, including the behavior of the wavefunction inside and outside the well. The conversation also mentions drawing the eigenfunctions for the ground state and second energy state, with the reminder that the number of nodes in the wavefunction corresponds to the energy state.
k3r0

Homework Statement

Consider the stationary state (eigenfunction) Ψ(x) illustrated. Which of the three potentials V(x) illustrated could lead to such an eigenfunction?

2agkmty.png

Homework Equations

N/A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's the second one. Where the wavefunction is negative the potential should be 0; the second potential graph drops to 0 between the two zero points of the wavefunction graph and is non-zero inside the well. Could anyone confirm if I'm right in thinking this? Been muddling with this for a while now. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first potential looks like harmonic oscillator potential and the second one is a finite square well. Are you familiar with the solutions of Schrodinger equation for those potentials?

Hint: If a particle is in a finite square potential well that is deeper than the particle's total energy, the wavefunction is sinusoidal inside the well and decays exponentially outside it.

Thanks. I originally chose #2 but but I think I'm going to go with the last one; it's sort of sinusoidal within the well, goes towards 0 during the blip in the middle and decays outside the well.

Part (b) asks me to draw the eigenfunction for the ground state, E1, and the second energy, E2. Would they just look like these (on the left)?:

pfbx1.gif

I'm having a hard time deciding what state the diagram we've been given is in. It seems to be all over the place and I'm not sure how to approach the question.

EDIT: I think the graph we've been given is E3 because it looks like the third state /should/ look, except it goes to 0 outside the well. I'm drawing E1 and E2 like the diagram above, but with the interference of the well in the middle.

As far as I know, if a 1D quantum system is in the N:th energy state, the wavefunction has N-1 nodes (points where it has value zero).

Thanks for your help. :)

1. What are eigenfunctions?

Eigenfunctions are a type of mathematical function that represent the states of a physical system. They are solutions to the eigenvalue equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

2. What is the importance of eigenfunctions in physics?

Eigenfunctions are important because they provide a way to describe the behavior of physical systems. They can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain state, and they are also used in the construction of potential diagrams.

3. How are eigenfunctions related to potential diagrams?

Eigenfunctions are used to construct potential diagrams, which show the energy levels of a system as a function of position. The eigenfunctions represent the allowed states of the system, and the potential diagram shows the energy of each state.

4. How do you determine the eigenfunctions of a system?

To determine the eigenfunctions of a system, you need to solve the eigenvalue equation, which involves finding the solutions to a differential equation. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and boundary value problems.

5. What is the relationship between eigenfunctions and eigenvalues?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are closely related. Eigenfunctions are the solutions to the eigenvalue equation, and eigenvalues are the corresponding values that satisfy the eigenvalue equation. In physics, eigenvalues represent the energy levels of a system, while eigenfunctions represent the corresponding wavefunctions.