Eigenfunctions and Energy Measurements in Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter t1mbro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with revising for an exam and a discussion about a Hamiltonian operator and its energy eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. The conversation also includes calculations for finding the normalization constant, probabilities for energy measurements, and the average energy of an electron. The conversation concludes with a discussion about postulates 4 and 6 in relation to the wavefunction.
t1mbro
Ok so I am revising for an exam that's in a day or so and I'm totally stuck on some revison questions, needless to say i need to understand what's going on not just get an answer so if somone can help me do this I would be grateful. Should be pretty easy it's basic stuff from last yr but my mind is going at about 1000miles an hour and i can't think straight.

Hamiltonian operator for particular system has energy eigenvalues En (n = 1,2,3) and corresponding normalized eigenfunctions Un. the eigenfuntions corresponding to different eigenvalues are orthogonal. The wavefuntion of the electron is given by.

Si = K(3U1 +4U2)

(a)calc real normalisation const, k
(b)what is probablity P1 that measurement of energy would give E1?
(c)................E2?
(d)................E3?
(e)Using p1 and P2 determine the average value for energy of the electron.
(f)Evaluate expectation vaule of hamiltionian operator for an electron in state Si and show that this is the answer obtained in (e)

numerical answers:
a) 1/5
b)9/25
c)16/25
d)0
e) (9E1+16E2)/25

I'm supposed to use what in our lectures were postlates 4 and 6.

4. something about si (x,t) = SUM (j) cj SIj (x) exp(-iEjt/hbar)

where Ej is energy associated with SIj

mmm can't write rest as with limited keyboard.

and postulate 6.

Pl = |al|^2/ SUM |an|^2 where SI = SUM (n) an SIn

Sorry I realize the type is confusing will clarify anything needed, thanks for help

Physics news on Phys.org
You vector is k(3U1+ 4U2). Assuming that these eigenvectors are orthonormal as well as orthogonal (that is, they are taken to be unit vectors), then 3U1+ 4U2 has length
[tex]\sqrt{3^2+ 4^2}= \sqrt{25}= 5[/tex]
In order to make k(3U1+ 4U2) a unit vector, k must equal 1/5.

In that case k(3U1+ 4U2)= 1/5(3U1+ 4U2)= (3/5)U1+ (4/5)U2+ (0/5)U3. The "amplitudes" for U1, U2, U3 are 3/5, 4/5, and 0 respectively. Their probabilities are the squares of those: 9/25, 16/25, and 0.

ok, what you said makes sense, except, why is it a vector? am i being utterly stupid?

(a) In general a wavefunction (stationary state) looks like this:
[tex] \Psi = K( c_{1} u_{1} + c_{2} u_{2} + c_{3} u_{3} + ...)[/tex]
where K is the normalization constant.

The numbers [tex]c_{1},c_{2},c_{3},c_{4}...[/tex] are the coefficients.

You can calculate K by [tex]K=\sqrt{|c_{1}|^2+|c_{2}|^2+|c_{3}|^2 +...}[/tex],
so what you do is you take the absolute square of each coefficient, sum them up and take the squareroot of this sum =>
that's K

Your wavefunction is:
[tex] \Psi = K(3 u_{1} + 4 u_{2}) [/tex]
[tex] \Psi = K(c_{1} u_{1} + c_{2} u_{2})[/tex]

Your coefficients are [tex]c_{1}=3[/itex] and [itex]c_{2}=4[/tex].
Plugging this into the formula for K you get:
[tex]K= \sqrt{|3|^2+|4|^2} = \sqrt{25} = 5[/tex]

Thus your wavefunction is:
[tex]\Psi = \frac{1}{5}(3 u_{1} + 4 u_{2})[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{3}{5} u_{1} + \frac{4}{5} u_{2}[/tex]

Now you have the new, normalized coefficients:
[tex]\Psi = b_{1} u_{1} + b_{2} u_{2} [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{3}{5} u_{1} + \frac{4}{5} u_{2}[/tex]

The new normalized coefficients are:
[tex] b_{1} = \frac{3}{5} [/tex]
[tex] b_{2} = \frac{4}{5} [/tex]

(b) You can get [tex]p_{1}[/itex] by the formula [tex] p_{1} = |b_{1}|^2[/tex],
that is you just have to pick out the "normalized" coeficient [tex]b_{1}[/tex]
in front of the eigenfunction [tex]u_{1}[/tex] and take the absolute square of it.
Look above, the coefficient in front of
[itex] u_{1}[/itex] is [itex] b_{1}= \frac{3}{5}[/itex]. Thus, using the formula [itex] p_{1} = |b_{1}|^2[/itex] you obtain 9/25.
I repeat: Use the normalized coefficient! (not the [tex]c_{1}[/tex])

(c) You do the same as in (b), pick out the coefficient in front of [itex]u_{2}[/itex], which
is [itex]b_{1} = \frac{4}{5}[/itex] (see above). You obviously get [itex]p_{2} = \frac{9}{25}[/itex]

(d) Just take again the formula [tex]p_{3} = |c_{3}|^2[/tex].
But then the question is where do you get [tex]|c_{3}|^2[/tex] from? It's the coefficient in front of [tex]u_{3}[/tex], but since [tex] u_{3}[/tex] doesn't appear in the wavefunction [tex] \Psi = \frac{3}{5} u_{1} + \frac{4}{5} u_{2}[/tex], the coefficient is zero.

To better understand this you could also write:
[tex] \Psi = \frac{3}{5} u_{1} + \fract{4}{5} u_{2}[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{3}{5} u_{1} + \fract{4}{5} u_{2} + 0 u_{3}[/tex], right? (I just added a zero there)
Then you see the coefficient is zero in front of [tex] u_{3}[/tex].

(e) The average energy is defined as:
Expectation value for energy [itex]= \sum_{i} p_{i} E_{i} [/itex]
(just as you know it from school).

Just plug in the values you obtained before:
Expectation value for energy [itex] = \frac{9}{25} E_{1} + \frac{16}{25} E_{2} = \frac{1}{25} \left (9E_{1} + 16E_{2} \right )[/itex]

(f) The expectation value is defined as [tex] \langle \hat{H} \rangle = \langle \Psi| \hat{H} | \Psi \rangle [/tex].
(i) First calculate [tex]\hat{H} | \Psi \rangle [/tex],
(ii) then "multiply" from the left side [tex] \langle \Psi |[/tex].

Hint for (i): [tex] \hat{H} |u_{1}\rangle = E_{1} |u_{1} \rangle [/tex],
and [tex] \hat{H} |u_{2}\rangle = E_{2} |u_{2}\rangle[/tex]
Hint for (ii): [tex]\langle u_{1} | u_{1} \rangle = 1[/tex] and [tex]\langle u_{2} | u_{2} \rangle = 1[/tex], and: [tex] \langle u_{1} | u_{2} \rangle =0, [/tex] and [itex]\langle u_{2} | u_{1} \rangle = 0[/tex].

Last edited:
oh that's all so easy, thanks edgardo!

1. What are eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics?

Eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics are mathematical functions that represent the possible states of a quantum system. These functions are solutions to the quantum mechanical wave equation and have the property that when operated on by the system's Hamiltonian operator, they return a constant multiple of themselves.

2. How are eigenfunctions used in quantum mechanics?

Eigenfunctions are used in quantum mechanics to describe the possible states of a system and to calculate the probabilities of observing a particular state. They also play a crucial role in solving the Schrödinger equation and determining the energy levels of a system.

3. What is the difference between eigenfunctions and eigenvalues?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are related but distinct concepts in quantum mechanics. Eigenfunctions are the mathematical functions that represent the states of a system, while eigenvalues are the constants that are multiplied by the eigenfunctions when operated on by the Hamiltonian operator. In other words, eigenvalues are the possible outcomes of a measurement on the system.

4. How do you find eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics?

Finding eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics involves solving the Schrödinger equation for the system's wave function. This involves using techniques such as separation of variables and boundary conditions to find the solutions that satisfy the equation. In some cases, the eigenfunctions can be determined analytically, while in others, numerical methods are used.

5. What is the significance of eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics?

The significance of eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics lies in their ability to describe the possible states of a system and predict the results of measurements. They also allow for the calculation of energy levels and other important properties of a quantum system. In essence, eigenfunctions are the building blocks of quantum mechanics and play a fundamental role in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.