1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenspaces, quick question

1. Aug 9, 2014 #1
    I know this might be trivial, but when practicing for exam, I usually write the "inverse" values of the cheat sheet, and want to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

Is the eigenspace 1,-1 the same as -1,1?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think your difficulty is your "notation" which is so terse as to be confusing. 'The eigenspace 1, -1' makes no sense to me. If you mean "the subspace spanned by eigenvectors of linear operator A corresponding to eigenvalues 1 and -1" then it should be clear that the order in which you mention the eigenvalues is irrelevant.

(I started to write "the subspace of all eigenvectors of linear operator A corresponding to eigenvalues 1 and -1" but you understand that that set is NOT a subspace, right?)

4. Aug 9, 2014 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To put it a bit differently, an eigenspace is a (vector ) subspace , and {1,-1} is not, at least not in any way I' familiar with. Did you mean the eigenspaces associated to each of these eigenvectors?

5. Aug 10, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If your notation 1, -1 is intended to mean the vector <1, -1> in R2, then yes, the space spanned by the eigenvector <1, -1> is the same as that spanned by the vector <-1, 1>. Both vectors lie along the line y = -x but point in opposite directions.

6. Aug 10, 2014 #5
    Perfect, thanks. Sorry about the confusing notation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook