1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenstates of general spin matrix

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    Hello,
    I'm having a terrible difficulty solving problem 3.18 in A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics by John Townsend. I have done literally hours of work and am beginning to think I don't understand how eigenvalues relate to matrix mechanics as well as I thought. Please excuse my TeX it is my first time :redface:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the eigenstates of [tex]S{n}[/tex] = S [tex]\bullet[/tex] n for a spin-1 particle, where the spin operator S = [tex]S{x}[/tex]i + [tex]S{y}[/tex]j + [tex]S{z}[/tex]k and n = sin[tex]\theta[/tex]cos[tex]\phi[/tex]i + sin[tex]\theta[/tex]sin[tex]\phi[/tex]j + cos[tex]\theta[/tex]k. Use the matrix representation of the rotation operator in 3.19 to check your result when [tex]\phi[/tex] = 0.

2. Relevant equations
    3.19: (3x3 matrix)

R([tex]\theta[/tex]j) =

.5(1 + cos[tex]\theta[/tex]) -(1/Sqrt(2))sin[tex]\theta[/tex] .5(1-cos[tex]\theta[/tex])
    (1/Sqrt(2))(sin[tex]\theta[/tex]) cos[tex]\theta[/tex] -(1/Sqrt(2))sin[tex]\theta[/tex]
    .5(1 - cos[tex]\theta[/tex]) (1/Sqrt(2))sin[tex]\theta[/tex] .5(1+cos[tex]\theta[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought I could solve this by simple taking the dot product of n and S as described in the problem and adding the three resulting matrices. However it is impossible for this to reduce to 3.19 when phi = 0 because Sx Sy and Sz for spin-1 particles do not have entries in the upper right, middle, and lower left corners (among other problems). Even so, using this matrix I followed through and was able to get eigenvalues -1,0 and 1 (despite some very ridiculous algebra) which seemed reasonable to me. I attempted to plug eigenvalue 1 into the eigenvalue equation but the resulting eigenvector is very complicated (which makes me think it is wrong). Anyway I can't reduce my matrix so I think I'm doing something wrong at the very beginning but I can't figure out what.

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?