1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenstates of masses on springs

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    Hello, I am a having a problem finding the solution of the follow:

3 equal masses are connected by springs in a circle, and are confined to move in the circle. Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the system.

I'm really at a bit of a loss here, I don't know whether you begin by assuming SHM occurs and get answers from there or something completely different. The question is from a general paper so you can use anything to get an answer! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks everyone.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello technial! :smile:

Call the spring lengths θ φ and (2π - θ - φ).

Do F = ma on each mass, and you should end up with an equation in θ'' φ" θ and φ which I suspect (i haven't worked it out) will be separable into two x'' = -kx equations with x (I'm guessing) = θ ± φ.

So no need to make assumptions :wink: … the SHM should come out of the elementary F = ma equations.

What do you get? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook