Exploring the Eigenvalue Problem: A Guide to Solving Homework Assignments

• Thread starter temaire
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of eigenvalues and eigenvectors in matrices. The main idea is that an eigenvalue is a factor by which a matrix changes the length of a vector, while an eigenvector is a vector that remains unchanged under the transformation of a matrix. The conversation also includes an example of finding an eigenvalue in a matrix expression.
temaire
Homework Statement
[PLAIN]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7826/70745131.jpg

The attempt at a solution
How do I go about solving this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
is dis correct!

vishal007win said:
is dis correct!

?

What does it mean to say that a number lambda is an eigenvalue of a matrix?

it means that no. is the eigen value of new matrix formed by the expression..
A^2010 -2A+3I

if for an eigen vector,eigen value is 1...dis means for that e-vector, matrix is behaving like an identity matrix...so the same eigen vector this expression will have eigen value :2

How did you show it was 2?

vishal007win said:
it means that no. is the eigen value of new matrix formed by the expression..
A^2010 -2A+3I
You didn't answer my question. Here's a slightly different question. What does it mean to say that 3 is an eigenvalue of a matrix A?

matrix can act in two ways ...rotating a vector or changing it length...
this value...(e-value) is a factor by which matrix changes the length of vector...

Mark44 said:
You didn't answer my question. Here's a slightly different question. What does it mean to say that 3 is an eigenvalue of a matrix A?

hope this give answer to your question!

I'm looking for an equation that involves A and 3.

Mark44 said:
I'm looking for an equation that involves A and 3.

Is it:

(A - 3I)x = 0

Yes, or equivalently, Ax = 3x.

With your problem, you know that 1 is an eigenvalue of A, so Ax = 1x. You are trying to find an eigenvalue of A2010 - 2A + 3I.

(A2010 - 2A + 3I)x = ?x

Think about the other problem you posted. If Ax = 1x, what are A2x, A3x, A4x, ...?

All would be 1x

Also 1x

Mark44 said:
No it isn't.

Whoops lol, I meant 2.

So would it be enough to say that since A=1, A^2010 - 2A + 3I = 1 -2 + 3 = 2?

temaire said:
So would it be enough to say that since A=1, A^2010 - 2A + 3I = 1 -2 + 3 = 2?
No, A is a matrix, so it can't be equal to any number, and A^2010 - 2A + 3I [itex]\neq[/itex] 2

However, you know that Ax = 1x, so (A2010 - 2A + 3I)x = ___x? (Fill in the blank.)

1. What is the eigenvalue problem?

The eigenvalue problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the eigenvalues (or characteristic values) and corresponding eigenvectors of a square matrix. It is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science to solve systems of equations and model complex systems.

2. How do I solve the eigenvalue problem?

To solve the eigenvalue problem, you can use various methods such as the characteristic polynomial method, power method, or the QR algorithm. Depending on the complexity of the problem, some methods may be more suitable than others. It is important to understand the underlying concepts and choose the appropriate method for your specific problem.

3. What is the significance of eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are important in understanding the behavior and properties of a system. Eigenvectors represent the directions in which a linear transformation (represented by a matrix) does not change. Eigenvalues represent the scaling factor by which the eigenvectors are stretched or compressed.

4. Can I use technology to solve the eigenvalue problem?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators that can solve the eigenvalue problem. However, it is still important to have a basic understanding of the concepts and methods involved in order to interpret and verify the results.

5. How can I apply the eigenvalue problem in real-world situations?

The eigenvalue problem has many real-world applications, such as in physics for solving systems of differential equations, in engineering for analyzing vibrations and stability of structures, and in computer science for data compression and image processing. Understanding and being able to solve the eigenvalue problem can help in solving complex problems and making predictions in various fields.