1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue and Eigenspace

1. Apr 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A be the matrix of the linear transformation T. Without writing A, find an eigenvalue of A and describe the eigenspace.

T is the transformation on R2 that reflects points across some line through the origin.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since they tell us that the point is reflected across the origin, I say that the eigenvalue= -1 and since T is a linear transformation, the eigenspace is in R2.

Are both the answer and reasoning correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Vectors are differences between points, not the points themselves. In this case you should be thinking of the vector corresponding to (x,y) to be the arrow connecting (0,0) with (x,y). Now consider the two cases of vectors parallel to the line and perpendicular to the line separately.
  4. Apr 6, 2008 #3
    I don't think I understand how to find the eigenvalue when considering the parallel and perpendicular vectors.
  5. Apr 6, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take an example, suppose the line is x=y. What are A((1,1)) and A((1,-1))? How did I pick those two vectors?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?