1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue of 0

1. Aug 10, 2007 #1
    This is just a general question:

If, when you are calculating the eigenvalues for a matrix, you get a root of 0 (eg. x^3 - x) --> x(x-1)(x+1), what does that mean for the eigenvectors?

thanks,
    w.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2007 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

Nothing. It just means that one of the eigenvalues is zero, it doesn't mean anything special about eigenvectors... When diagonalized the matrix of the operator looks like
    [tex]
    \left(
    \begin{array}{ccc}
    -1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0& 0 & 1
    \end{array}
    \right)\;.
    [/tex]
    In this basis, the eigenvector with eigenvalue -1 is (1,0,0) and the eigenvector with eigenvalue 0 is (0,1,0) and the eigenvector with eigenvalue 1 is (0,0,1).

4. Aug 11, 2007 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is nothing wrong with an eigenvalue being zero, and it is not more special than an eigenvalue being -1, i or [itex]\pi[/itex].

Only an eigenvector cannot be zero. Which makes sense, because the zero vector trivially satisfies A 0 = [itex]\lambda[/itex] 0 for any number [itex]\lambda[/itex].

5. Aug 11, 2007 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A zero eigenvalue means the matrix in question is singular. The eigenvectors corresponding to the zero eigenvalues form the basis for the null space of the matrix.

6. Aug 11, 2007 #5
    According to definition: Ax=cx,x is nonzero vector,then
    we have Ax=0,
    which means it has nonzero solutions,
    also means A is signular,
    also means the corresponding eigenvector is not uniquely determined.

7. Aug 11, 2007 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eigenvectors are never1 uniquely determined; at the very least, any nonzero scalar multiple of an eigenvector is an eigenvector.

1: Unless your scalar field is GF(2).

8. Aug 11, 2007 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And who, might I ask, is GF(2) ? :eek:

9. Aug 11, 2007 #8
    Thank Hurkyl for pointing out my misunderstanding (I was thinking about sth else.)

10. Aug 11, 2007 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

GF(2) is the finite field with two elements. It's isomorphic to the integers modulo 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?