Eigenvalue of pauli spin matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of eigenstates in describing the state of spin 1/2 particles, specifically the eigenstates up and down with corresponding eigenvalues of 1/2 hbar and -1/2 hbar respectively. The question in the homework asks which of the given eigenstates, operated on by the Pauli spin matrix, results in an eigenvalue of -1/2 hbar. The suggested solution is option c, 1/sqrt2 spin up - spin down.
moonray
1. Homework Statement [/
from the ets general physics practice test (ill take it in april) the state of spin 1/2 particles
using the eigenstates up and down Sz up= 1/2 hbar Sz down= -1/2 hbar

Homework Equations

given sigmax (pauli spin matrix) which of the following list of eigenstates has a has an eigenvalue of -1/2 hbar

The Attempt at a Solution

a) down spin
b)1/sqrt2 spin up + spin down
c) 1/sqrt2 spin up -spin down
d) 1/sqrt2 spin up - i (spin down)

I think c is the answer but i can't remember how to put it together could you explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just operate the sigma_x matrix on those vectors and see which one is an eigenvector with a -1/2 hbar eigenstate. Just plug-and-chug as my teachers use to say.

1. What is an eigenvalue of a Pauli spin matrix?

An eigenvalue of a Pauli spin matrix is a scalar value that represents the amount of spin an electron has along a particular direction. It is a fundamental property of the electron and can take on only two values: ±1/2.

2. How are eigenvalues of Pauli spin matrices related to spin states?

Eigenvalues of Pauli spin matrices correspond to the possible spin states of an electron. The eigenvalue of +1/2 represents an electron with spin up, while the eigenvalue of -1/2 represents an electron with spin down.

3. What are the physical interpretations of eigenvalues of Pauli spin matrices?

The eigenvalues of Pauli spin matrices have physical interpretations in terms of the observable spin of electrons. They represent the intrinsic angular momentum of the electron and play a crucial role in quantum mechanics and spintronics.

4. Can the eigenvalues of Pauli spin matrices change?

No, the eigenvalues of Pauli spin matrices are constant and do not change. They are intrinsic properties of the electron and are not affected by external factors.

5. How are eigenvalues of Pauli spin matrices calculated?

The eigenvalues of Pauli spin matrices can be calculated using the eigenvalue equation, where the determinant of the matrix minus the eigenvalue term is set to zero. This results in a quadratic equation, which can be solved to find the possible eigenvalues.