Eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation is discussing the application of the fact that [a+, a] = 1 in finding the values of [b+, b], [H, b], and [H, b+]. It also mentions the use of the operator H on the states |ψE⟩ and |ψE⟩. Finally, it poses a question about the inner product of the state |ψE⟩ and its relation to the energy E.
Minakami

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=29387&stc=1&d=1287982405.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=29388&stc=1&d=1287982405.jpg

I think I have to use the fact that [a+ , a] = 1 but I don't know where to apply this.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 796
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
Minakami said:
I think I have to use the fact that [a+ , a] = 1 but I don't know where to apply this.

If [itex]\left[\hat{a}^{\dagger},\hat{a}\right]=1[/itex], what is [tex]\left[\hat{b}^{\dagger},\hat{b}\right][/tex]? What are [tex]\left[H,\hat{b}\right][/tex] and [tex]\left[\hat{H},\hat{b}^{\dagger}\right][/tex]?

What are [tex]\hat{H}\left(\hat{b}|\psi_E\rangle\right)[/tex] and [tex]\hat{H}\left(\hat{b}^{\dagger}|\psi_E\rangle\right)[/tex]...What does that tell you?

If [tex]E_0\hat{b}^{\dagger}\hat{b}|\psi_E\rangle-\frac{E_1^2}{E_0}|\psi_E\rangle=E|\psi_E\rangle[/tex], what is [tex]\langle\psi_E|\hat{b}^{\dagger}\hat{b}|\psi_E\rangle[/tex]? Note that in any Hilbert space, an inner product is always greater than or equal to zero...what does that tell you about [itex]E[/itex]?

1. What is the definition of eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian?

The eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian is a numerical value that represents the energy of a quantum system in a specific state. It is found by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian related to the energy of a system?

The eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian is directly related to the energy of a system. The Hamiltonian operator represents the total energy of a system, and its eigenvalues correspond to the possible energy levels of the system.

3. What does it mean when the eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian is negative?

A negative eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian indicates that the energy of the system is lower than the energy of the ground state. This is a characteristic of bound states, where the system is confined within a potential well.

4. How is the eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian used in quantum mechanics?

The eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian is used to calculate the probability of finding a system in a particular energy state. It is also used to describe the time evolution of a quantum system, as the eigenvalues can change over time due to interactions with other systems.

5. Can the eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian be measured directly?

No, the eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian cannot be measured directly. It is a theoretical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy of a system. However, the effects of the eigenvalue can be observed in experiments, such as the spectral lines in atomic emission spectra.