1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue problem

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    operator is d2/dx2 - bx2
    function is psi=e^-ax2

if this fuction is eigenfuction for this operator, what is "a" and "b" constants value?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Apply the operator to psi. Set what results to c*psi. Can you find a relation between a and b that makes c a constant?
  4. Mar 26, 2008 #3
    this question is from Atkins physical chemistry. psi is not constant, it is just only wavefunction. Thank you for your attention, I really don't solve this question
  5. Mar 26, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Makes "c" a constant, not makes "psi" a constant. Start by applying the operator to the wavefunction psi. What do you get??
  6. Mar 26, 2008 #5
    result is 2e^-ax2 (abx2-2bx+2a2). It is mean (abx2-2bx+2a2) is a constant. But this question want to value of a and b. I am confused.??
  7. Mar 26, 2008 #6
    i see. c=2c(abx2-2bx+2a2) . But still I don't found value of a and b. May be problem is me :)
  8. Mar 26, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get something pretty different for the value of the operator on psi. If you multiply it out shouldn't there be a -b*x^2*psi(x) part from the '-bx2' part of your operator? We'd better worry about getting the value of the operator right before we talk about eigenvalues. What's the second derivative of psi?
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?