Solve Eigenvalue Problem for ODE: Find Eigenvalue & Eigenfunctions

In summary: In finite dimensions, it is a line through the origin.) In that case, the equation Ax= λx has infinitely many solutions.
sigmund
I have this eigenvalue problem:
[itex] \frac{\mbox{d}^2y}{\mbox{d}x^2}+\left(1-\lambda\right)\frac{\mbox{d}y}{\mbox{d}x}-\lambda y = 0 \ , \ x\in[0,1], \ \lambda\in\mathbb{R}
[/itex]
[itex] y(0)=0 [/itex]
[itex] \frac{\mbox{d}y}{\mbox{d}x}(1)=0 [/itex]
Then, I have to show that there exists only one eigenvalue [itex] \lambda [/itex], and find this eigenvalue and write the corresponding eigenfunctions.

Thus far, I have solved the ODE's characteristic equation
[itex] r^2+(1-\lambda)r-\lambda=0 [/itex].
This gives me two solutions
[itex] r=-1 [/itex] and [itex] r=\lambda [/itex].
Thus the solution to the ODE is
[itex]
y=c_1\exp(-x)+c_2\exp(\lambda x) \ , \ x\in\mathbb{R} \ , \ c_1, \ c_2\in\mathbb{R}
[/itex].

Can I now conclude that because we only have real solutions to the characteristic equation, only one eigenvalue exists?

Secondly, I am not completely sure how to find the sought eigenvalue. I know how to find the eigenvalue when I have a solution that involves [itex] \sin [/itex] and [itex] \cos [/itex], but here I am not sure how to do it. Could anyone give me a hint?

Thirdly, when I have the eigenvalue there should not be any problems in writing the corresponding eigenfunctions, or is it?

I would appreciate any help. I am not looking for a solution to my homework problem, but any hints to the problem mentioned above are welcome.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You miss text from the problem.In order for that to be a genuine Cauchy problem,you need to specify 2 initial conditions.Besides,you didn't use the one which u have posted...:wink:

Daniel.

An "eigenvalue" is a value of &lamba; such that the problem has a non-trivial solution. Have you determined what functions satisfy your other conditions?
(You have y(0)= 0 but then is see only [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]. Did you mean [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}(0)= 0[/itex] or [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}(1)= 0[/itex]?)

The problem is a lot easier if it is [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}(0)= 0[/itex]!

Put x= 0 into the formulas for y and dy/dx and you get two equations to solve for c1 and c2. For what values of &lamda; can you NOT solve for specific value of c1 and c2?

He corrected his typo and now he can follow your advice for finding "lambda"...:approve:

Daniel.

Has anyone tried to calculate the eigenvalue? My suggestion is [itex] \lambda=-1 [/itex]. Can anyone either confirm or refute this?

What is the system of equations for C_{1} & C_{2}...?

Daniel.

When I use the initial conditions, I get this system of equations:

[tex] c_1+c_2=0 [/tex]
[tex] -c_1\exp(-1)+c_2\lambda\exp(\lambda)=0 [/tex]

I then guess that [itex] \lambda=-1 [/itex], and find out that with this eigenvalue you cannot solve the system for any particular value of [itex] c_1 [/itex] and [itex] c_2 [/itex].

Last edited:
Yes,indeed,lambda=-1 makes the 2 equations identical.

Now find the eigenfunctions corresponding to [itex]\lambda=-1[/itex]

Daniel.

Deleted- DexterCioby beat me to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Halls,it has lambda =-1...:wink:

I "guess" -1 can be called elementary,huh...?

Daniel.

Well, the eigenfunctions corresponding to [itex] \lambda=-1 [/itex] must then be

[tex] y=c_1\exp(-x)+c_2\exp(-x)=(c_1+c_2)\exp(-x)=c\exp(-x),~~c_1,\,c_2,\,c\in\mathbb{R} [/tex]

Yes.[itex] y(x)=C\exp(-x),C\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] is the awaited sollution.

Daniel.

After I have talked to the teacher, I have realized that the eigenfunction written in post #11 is wrong. The reason is that when [itex]\lambda=-1[/itex], the characteristic equation has a double root [itex]r=-1[/itex]. Thus, the solution is [itex]y=c_1\exp(-x)+c_2x\exp(-x)[/itex], and NOT [itex]y=c\exp(-x)[/itex] as written earlier. Do you agree dextercioby?

Last edited:
sigmund said:
After I have talked to the teacher, I have realized that the eigenfunction written in post #11 is wrong. The reason is that when [itex]\lambda=-1[/itex], the characteristic equation has a double root [itex]r=-1[/itex]. Thus, the solution is [itex]y=c_1\exp(-x)+c_2x\exp(-x)[/itex], and NOT [itex]y=c\exp(-x)[/itex] as written earlier. Do you agree dextercioby?

I'm confused: To meet the initial condition y(0)=0, [itex]c_1[/itex] has to be zero. But if that's the case, then any value of [itex]c_2[/itex] meets the derivative at the boundary condition specified above and thus we loose uniqueness.

Yes, that's the whole point of "eigenvalue". If λ is not an eigenvalue, then the equation Ax= &lamda;x has a unique solution: x= 0. If λ is an eigenvalue, then there exist an infinite number of solutions: the set of eigenvectors corresponding to a given eigenvalue is is a subspace of the original vectdor space.

1. What is an eigenvalue and why is it important in solving ODEs?

An eigenvalue is a special value that corresponds to a specific set of eigenvectors in a linear transformation. In solving ODEs, eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important because they can help us find the general solution to the differential equation. They also provide information about the behavior of the system over time.

2. How do you find the eigenvalues of an ODE?

To find the eigenvalues of an ODE, you first need to set up the characteristic equation by setting the coefficient matrix equal to a scalar multiple of the identity matrix. Then, you can solve for the values of the scalar that will make the determinant of the resulting matrix equal to zero. These values are the eigenvalues of the ODE.

3. What are eigenfunctions and how do they relate to eigenvalues?

An eigenfunction is a special function that corresponds to an eigenvalue. In solving ODEs, eigenfunctions are used to find the general solution of the differential equation by plugging them into the equation and solving for the coefficients. The eigenvalues determine the form of the eigenfunctions and their behavior over time.

4. Can you solve an ODE without finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions?

Yes, it is possible to solve some ODEs without explicitly finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. This can be done by using numerical methods or by finding a particular solution that satisfies the boundary conditions. However, finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions can provide a more efficient and general solution to the ODE.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving eigenvalue problems for ODEs?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of solving eigenvalue problems for ODEs. Some examples include analyzing the behavior of mechanical systems, predicting population growth in ecology, and studying the dynamics of chemical reactions. Eigenvalue problems are also commonly used in image and signal processing to analyze patterns and frequencies.