Prove Eigenvalues of Similar Square Matrices are Equal

In summary: So if two matricies have the same characteristic polynomial, they have the same eigenvalues and algebraic multiplicities. So try to prove that det(Q-xI)=det(P-xI).In summary, to prove that similar square matrices have the same eigenvalues with the same algebraic multiplicities, you need to show that the characteristic polynomials of the two matrices are equal. This can be done by proving that the determinants of the matrices with x subtracted from the diagonal are also equal.
mlarson9000

Homework Statement

Prove that similar square matricies have the same eigenvalues with the same algebraic multiplicities.

Homework Equations

C^-1PC=Q

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I supposed to show that (P-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)x=(C^-1PC-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)x?

Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenvalues are the roots of the characteristic polynomial. Can you show Q=C^(-1)PC and P have the same characteristic polynomial? I.e. det(Q-xI)=det(P-xI)?

Last edited:
mlarson9000 said:
Am I supposed to show that (P-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)x=(C^-1PC-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)x?

Well, that's equivalent to C-1PC=Q, isn't it?
solution:
What you want to do is to show, that they have the same char polynomial (up to scalarmultiplication). But that's easy since [tex]det(\mathbf{P} -\lambda \mathbf{I})=det(\mathbf{C^{-1}QC} -\lambda \mathbf{C^{-1}C})=det(\mathbf{C^{-1}}(\mathbf{Q} -\lambda\mathbf{I} )\mathbf{C})[/tex]
Now use det(AB)=det(A)*det(B) and your done.
cheers

1777-1855 said:
Well, that's equivalent to C-1PC=Q, isn't it?

solution:
What you want to do is to show, that they have the same char polynomial (up to scalarmultiplication). But that's easy since [tex]det(\mathbf{P} -\lambda \mathbf{I})=det(\mathbf{C^{-1}QC} -\lambda \mathbf{C^{-1}C})=det(\mathbf{C^{-1}}(\mathbf{Q} -\lambda\mathbf{I} )\mathbf{C})[/tex]
Now use det(AB)=det(A)*det(B) and your done.
cheers

Hi, 1777-1855. The forum rules prohibit posting complete solutions (i.e. doing the problem for the poster). That's awfully close. Try and give a hint first and see if they can figure out the rest themselves, ok?? It's more fun that way and they learn more.

Dick said:
The eigenvalues are the roots of the characteristic polynomial. Can you show Q=C^(-1)PC and P have the same characteristic polynomial? I.e. det(Q-xI)=det(P-xI)?

So if I prove those two determinants are equal, it necessarily follows that the two matricies have the same eigenvalues and algebraic multiplicities, because the characteristic polynomials are the same?

mlarson9000 said:
So if I prove those two determinants are equal, it necessarily follows that the two matricies have the same eigenvalues and algebraic multiplicities, because the characteristic polynomials are the same?

Yes, those two determinants are actually polynomials in x, they are the characteristic polynomials. Their roots (and the multiplicities of them) are the eigenvalues and their algebraic multiplicities.

What is the definition of eigenvalues for square matrices?

Eigenvalues are the values that when multiplied by a square matrix, produce a multiple of the original matrix. They represent the scaling factor of the eigenvector when the matrix is applied to it.

What is the relationship between similar matrices and eigenvalues?

Similar matrices are matrices that have the same eigenvalues. This means that if two square matrices are similar, they will have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

Why is proving that eigenvalues of similar square matrices are equal important?

This proof is important because it helps us understand the relationship between similar matrices and their eigenvalues. It also allows us to make generalizations about these matrices and use them in various applications.

What is the process for proving that eigenvalues of similar square matrices are equal?

The proof involves showing that the characteristic polynomial of two similar matrices is the same. This can be done by using the definition of similar matrices and properties of determinants.

Can this proof be extended to non-square matrices?

No, this proof only applies to square matrices. For non-square matrices, the concept of eigenvalues and eigenvectors is different and a different proof is needed to show that they are equal for similar matrices.