Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue question

1. May 22, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I was reading something in my text/wikipedia, and they both said that "...the eigenvalues of a matrix are the zeros of its characteristic polynomial." Do they mean that λ in the characteristic polynomial causes det (A - λI) = 0 (in particular A = λI)?

JL

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The characteristic polynomial is p(x) = det(A - xI). The zeroes of the characteristic polynomial are the x values that satisfy det(A-xI) = 0.

4. May 23, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's exactly what they mean.

If the determinant of [itex]A- \lambda I[/itex] is not 0, then [itex]A- \lambda I[/itex] has an inverse and so the equation [itex](A- \lambda I)v= 0[/itex] has a unique solution [itex](A- \lambda I)^{-1}(A- \lambda I)v= v= (A- \lambda I)^{-1}0= 0[/itex] which contradicts the definition of "eigenvalue" which is that the equation [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex], equivalent to [itex](A- \lambda I)v= 0[/itex], has "non-trivial" (non-zero) solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook