1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue questions

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the matrix
    A=[a d f; 0 b e; 0 0 c], where all elements are real numbers
    (a) what condition(s) on the elements of A are sufficient to guarantee that A has 3 distinct eigenvalues?
    (b) prove that any two eigenvectors x1 and x2 associated with two distinct eigenvalues e1=e2 must be linearly independent
    (c) what condition(s) on the elements of A are sufficient to guarantee that the inverse A^-1 exists?
    (d) consider diff eq
    d/dt(u)=Au, u(0)=u0
    where A is the matrix discussed above with three distinct eigenvalues, and u is a vector. write the general solution u(t) in terms of the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A. do not solve for the actual eigen vectors.
    (e) prove that a soln u(t) that is initially parallel to an eigenvector must remain so for all time.

2. Relevant equations
    will involve diagonal matrices
    If for a given matrix there exists a matrix B such that AB=I, then B=A^-1, if I is the identity matrix.

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) It seems that in order for A to have three distinct eigenvalues, a and b and c cannot be equal to each other- I think if that diagonal relationship is satisfied, the values will be distinct. Not sure though.
    (b) Not sure how to approach this.
    (c) I think I am supposed to use the relevant equation 2 that I wrote to prove this- would this be satisfied at all times if the matrix is a diagonal matrix? In that case, d, f, and e should be zero?
    (d) Not sure
    (e) Not sure

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

This is correct. Can you prove it? Try calculating what the eigenvalues of A are.
    One way you can do it is assume x1 and x2 are linearly dependent and show it leads to a contradiction.
    This isn't correct. Hint: What can you say about the determinant of an invertible matrix?
    You should review how to solve systems of linear differential equations.

4. Jul 7, 2011 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation for the eigenvalues det(A - λI) = 0 very easily gives you the condition you conjecture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook