Conditions for Unique Eigenvalues and Solving Systems with Diagonal Matrices"

• Thread starter iqjump123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalue
In summary: For the matrix A given, the eigenvalues are a, b, and c.(b) Not sure how to approach this.Assume x1 and x2 are linearly dependent. Then one would be a multiple of the other. So x1 = αx2. Then Ax1 = λ1x1 becomes αAx2 = λ1x2. Now, since x2 is an eigenvector, Ax2 = λ2x2, with λ1 and λ2 distinct. So (α-1)Ax2 = 0. Since α-1 ≠ 0, then Ax2 = 0. This means that x2 is an eigenvector of A associated with
iqjump123

Homework Statement

Consider the matrix
A=[a d f; 0 b e; 0 0 c], where all elements are real numbers
(a) what condition(s) on the elements of A are sufficient to guarantee that A has 3 distinct eigenvalues?
(b) prove that any two eigenvectors x1 and x2 associated with two distinct eigenvalues e1=e2 must be linearly independent
(c) what condition(s) on the elements of A are sufficient to guarantee that the inverse A^-1 exists?
(d) consider diff eq
d/dt(u)=Au, u(0)=u0
where A is the matrix discussed above with three distinct eigenvalues, and u is a vector. write the general solution u(t) in terms of the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A. do not solve for the actual eigen vectors.
(e) prove that a soln u(t) that is initially parallel to an eigenvector must remain so for all time.

Homework Equations

will involve diagonal matrices
If for a given matrix there exists a matrix B such that AB=I, then B=A^-1, if I is the identity matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) It seems that in order for A to have three distinct eigenvalues, a and b and c cannot be equal to each other- I think if that diagonal relationship is satisfied, the values will be distinct. Not sure though.
(b) Not sure how to approach this.
(c) I think I am supposed to use the relevant equation 2 that I wrote to prove this- would this be satisfied at all times if the matrix is a diagonal matrix? In that case, d, f, and e should be zero?
(d) Not sure
(e) Not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
iqjump123 said:

(a) It seems that in order for A to have three distinct eigenvalues, a and b and c cannot be equal to each other- I think if that diagonal relationship is satisfied, the values will be distinct. Not sure though.
This is correct. Can you prove it? Try calculating what the eigenvalues of A are.
(b) Not sure how to approach this.
One way you can do it is assume x1 and x2 are linearly dependent and show it leads to a contradiction.
(c) I think I am supposed to use the relevant equation 2 that I wrote to prove this- would this be satisfied at all times if the matrix is a diagonal matrix? In that case, d, f, and e should be zero?
This isn't correct. Hint: What can you say about the determinant of an invertible matrix?
(d) Not sure
(e) Not sure
You should review how to solve systems of linear differential equations.

iqjump123 said:

The equation for the eigenvalues det(A - λI) = 0 very easily gives you the condition you conjecture.

1. What are the conditions for a matrix to have unique eigenvalues?

The conditions for a matrix to have unique eigenvalues are that the matrix must be square and its eigenvalues must be distinct. This means that none of the eigenvalues can be repeated.

2. How do you determine if a matrix has unique eigenvalues?

To determine if a matrix has unique eigenvalues, you can find the determinant of the matrix. If the determinant is non-zero, then the matrix has unique eigenvalues. If the determinant is zero, then the matrix does not have unique eigenvalues.

3. Can a non-square matrix have unique eigenvalues?

No, a non-square matrix cannot have unique eigenvalues. The number of eigenvalues a matrix has is equal to its dimensions, so a non-square matrix would have a different number of eigenvalues than its dimensions.

4. How do you solve a system of equations using diagonal matrices?

To solve a system of equations using diagonal matrices, you can use the diagonalization method. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix and using them to form a diagonal matrix. Then, you can use this diagonal matrix to solve the system of equations.

5. Are diagonal matrices always invertible?

Yes, diagonal matrices are always invertible as long as none of the diagonal entries are equal to zero. This is because the determinant of a diagonal matrix is equal to the product of its diagonal entries, and a non-zero determinant is required for invertibility.