1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue true and false

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    Let A and B be nxn matrices, where B is invertible. Suppose that 4 is an eigenvalue of A, and 5 is an eigenvalue of B. Find ALL true statements.

A) 4 is an eigenvalue of A^T
    B) 4 is an eigenvalue of (B^−1)AB
    C) 265 is an eigenvalue of (A^4)+A+5I
    D) 8 is an eigenvalue of A+(A^T)
    E) 20 is an eigenvalue of AB
    F) None of the above

I choose:
    A)
    B)

am I right?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2009 #2
    Re: Eigenvalues

Let A and B be nn matrices, where B is invertible. Suppose that 5 is an eigenvalue of A, and 4 is an eigenvalue of B. Find ALL true statements below.
    A. 20 is an eigenvalue of AB
    B. 10 is an eigenvalue of A+AT
    C. 34 is an eigenvalue of A2+A+4I
    D. 5 is an eigenvalue of AT
    E. 5 is an eigenvalue of B−1AB
    F. None of the above

HELP!!!

4. Dec 8, 2009 #3

anyone?

5. Dec 8, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you think a statement is true you should probably give a reason. If you think it's not true then you should figure out a counterexample. Otherwise you are just playing a guessing game.

6. Dec 8, 2009 #5

A) Say it was a 3x3 matrix. If I transpose the matrix, the eigenvalue still be 4.
    B) BB^-1 becomes an identity and it lefts with A only.
    C) A^4 + A + 5I = (4)^4 + 4 + 5 = 265. However, I'm not too sure about this statement.
    D) Not too sure if I can simply add those two together. If I assume that upper and lower triangular part are zeros.
    E) Obviously not a correct statement.

What do you think, Dick? A & B only?

I am very skeptical about C & D. Please help me on this, Dick.

7. Dec 8, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, for A. A better reason is that the eigenvalues are the roots of det(A-xI) and determinant of the transpose of A-xI is the same as the determinant of A-xI. Your reason for B isn't so good. Matrices in general don't commute. If v is the eigenvector of A then Av=4v. Define a vector y=B^(-1)x. What's (B^(-1)AB)y? For C, use Av=4v and figure out what (A^4+A+5I)v is. What does that tell you about the eigenvalues of (A^4+A+5I)? Can you think of a counterexample for D and E?

8. Dec 8, 2009 #7

A, B, C are true

D) If I assume there are non-zeros in the matrix

eg.
    |1 4|+|1 3|=|2 7|
    |3 2| |4 2| |7 4|

So, eval are roots of different roots and I have to use a quadratic formula to find those roots

E) Multiplying A&B will not come out as 20 b/c the matrix should be multiplied, not multiplying scalars (eigenvalues). So, False.

What do you think?

9. Dec 8, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, A, B and C are true. D and E are only true for some matrices, not for others. I'll give you examples where they aren't and you figure out why, ok? I can't really tell what you are trying to say for either of them. For D take A=[[4,1],[0,0]]. What are the eigenvalues of A, A^(T) and A+A^(T)? For E take A=[[4,0],[0,0]] and B=[[0,0],[0,5]]. What are the eigenvalues of A, B and AB? If you want another exercise, figure out specific matrices where D and E ARE true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook