1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues and determinants

1. May 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A be an nxn matrix, and suppose A has n real eigenvalues lambda_1, .....lambda_n repeated according to multiplicities. Prove that det A = lambda_1....lambda_n

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    Could someone explain what is meant by 'repeated according to multiplicities'? and give me a hint as to how to start this proof? thank u ~~

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The eigenvalues are the roots of the characteristic polynomial p(lambda)=det(I*lambda-A), the multiplicity of the eigenvalue is the multiplicity of the root. E.g. (lambda-1)^2 has a root 1 of multiplicity 2. Roots of polynomials correspond to linear factors of the polynomial. Think about how to find p(0).

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  4. May 25, 2009 #3
    to find p(0), i wud just sub 0 in the place of every variable and solve. I will be left with a constant, if there is a one
    Is this wat u r asking? but how does this relate to the question? =S

5. May 25, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm asking you to write out the characteristic polynomial in terms of lambda and lambda_1...lambda_n. Then think about what constant you get if lambda=0. How is it related to lambda_1...lambda_n? And how is that constant related to det(A)?

6. May 25, 2009 #5
    How can i write our the characteristic polynomial if we're dealing with a general nxn matrix?

7. May 25, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know the eigenvalues. E.g. if lambda_1 is a eigenvalue, then it's a root of the characteristic polynomial p(lambda). That means p(lambda) has a factor (lambda-lambda_1), right? Remember what you know about how roots of polynomials are related to factors of polynomials.

8. May 25, 2009 #7
    the factors of polynomials are the roots of the polynomials

i think...
    det(A)=(lambda-lambda_1)(lambda-lambda_2)....(lambda-lambda_n) so the eigenvalues are lambda_1.....lambda_n

9. May 25, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, but that's not quite det(A), it's det(lambda*I-A). det(A) doesn't have a lambda in it. So if lambda=0 on both sides what do you get?

10. May 25, 2009 #9
    ohhhhhh i think i got it now

det(A-lambda*I) =(lambda-lambda_1)(lambda-lambda_2)....(lambda-lambda_n)
    if lambda =0, then we have
    det(A) =(lambda_1)(lambda_2)....(lambda_n)

but, can we just set lambda = 0 like that?

11. May 25, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you can. But you have to pay attention to the minus signs. And the characteristic polynomial is det(lambda*I-A). det(A) and det(-A) are different. But that's pretty close.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook