1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors

1. May 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    we have this matrix
    6 - 1 0
    -1 -1 -1
    0 -1 1
    We need to find it's eigenvalues and eigenvectors

2. Relevant equations 3. The attempt at a solution

I wrote the characteristic equation - det(A- λxunit matrix) to find the roots and got (-λ^3)+8(λ^2)+λ-6 instead of -λ(^3)+6(λ^2)+3λ-13, which restricts me from getting the eigenvalues and vectors in the end. I don't think I'm expanding the determinant correctly, even though I know the -1 on r1, c2 turns into a +.
    Do I have to apply cofactors to every row, or just to the coefficients of the 2x2 matrix determinants (6 -(-1) and 0)

These are the supposed answers

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2016 #2
    Hi kev:

You need to calculate the determinant as the sum of six products, each with an appropriate +/- sign. Each product includes one element from each row and each column.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant .

Also, you may have forgotten that the cells along the main diagonal all have a "-λ" added to the numerical value in the cell.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted