Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues and -functions

1. Mar 8, 2005 #1
    I having trouble finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions for the operator

[tex]\hat{Q} = \frac{d^2}{d\phi^2}, [/tex] ​

where [tex]\phi[/tex] is the azimuthal angle. The eigenfunctions are periodical,

[tex]f(\phi) = f(\phi + 2\pi), [/tex] ​

which I think should put some restrictions on the eigenvalues.

I think that the eigenfunctions are complex exponentials, and that the eigenvalues are 0,-1,-2,..., but I am not sure if this is correct. Also I have to determine if the spectrum is degenerate, that is, if two (or more) distinct eigenfunctions correspond to the same eigenvalue.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2005 #2

Kane O'Donnell

Science Advisor

You're right about the complex exponentials and wrong about the eigenvalues, but finding the e-values isn't hard, just substitute a complex exponential into the equation and see what happens. :smile:

Those numbers ...-1, 0, 1, 2, ... do parametrize the equation - they turn out to be quantum numbers, not eigenvalues. Make sure you understand why they have to be integers.

Degeneracy should follow from what the eigenvalues look like, so calculate them first.

Kane

4. Mar 8, 2005 #3
    [tex] \frac{d^2 f}{d\phi^2} = Af [/tex]

Where A is an eigenvalue. Now solve this diff equation and make a clear distinction between A positive and negative. Also keep in mind that the eigenfunctions need to be periodical.

marlon

5. Mar 8, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay.Better solve the ODE and then impose the periodicity condition.

Daniel.

6. Mar 8, 2005 #5
    This is my solution-attempt:

For negative eigenvalues we have:

[tex]f(\phi) = e^{-iq\phi} [/tex]​

This correspond to eigenvalues [tex]\lambda = -q^2[/tex]. Since [tex]f(\phi)[/tex] is [tex]2\pi[/tex]-periodical we have:

[tex] 1 = e^{-iq2\pi}. [/tex]​

This implies that [tex]q = 0, \pm1, \pm2, \ldots[/tex], which again implies that the eigenvalues are [tex]\lambda = 0, -1, -4, -9, \ldots[/tex]. There are no positive eigenvalues.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  7. Mar 8, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are u sure...?
    [tex] \frac{d^{2}f(\varphi)}{d\varphi^{2}}=\lambda f(\varphi) [/tex]

I'm getting some square roots...

Daniel.

8. Mar 8, 2005 #7
    No, I'm not sure, not at all :biggrin:

From where do you get the square roots? If you differentiate twice you get [tex](-iq)^2 = -q^2[/tex]?

9. Mar 8, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

??Well,the characteristic equation is
    [tex] r^{2}=\lambda [/tex]

,with the solutions:
    [tex] r_{1,2}=\pm \sqrt\lambda [/tex]

Daniel.

10. Mar 8, 2005 #9
    I don't get it :( What do you get for the eigenvalues exactly?

11. Mar 8, 2005 #10

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The eigenvalues need not be real a a priori, but the periodicity implies it.

Since at first the eigenvalue lambda can be anything at all, best let [itex]\lambda = -m^2[/itex], where [itex]m[/itex] can be any complex number.

12. Mar 8, 2005 #11
    [tex]\hat{Q}[/tex] is hermitian, so the eigenvalues must be real - isn't that correct? If we apply the condition [tex]\lambda = -m^2[/tex], we get the eigenvalues 0, 1, 4, 9,... since the periodicity implies that [tex]m = 0, \pm1, \pm2,...[/tex] Right?

13. Mar 8, 2005 #12

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, I overlooked the Hermiticity.

The eigenvalues are nonnegative as you said, so you get 0,-1,-4 etc.

14. Mar 8, 2005 #13
    Thank you, Galileo. And the rest of you too :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?