1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues for Equilibrium Points of First Order Nonlinear DE

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1

jsi

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

dy/dx = y^3-3y^2+2y
    it's asking for equilibrium points and for the eigenvalues and stability at each point.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the equilibrium points by setting dy/dx = 0 as we were taught to do in class and got y = 0, 1, 2. Then I took the derivative of the equation and evaluated it at each point to determine stability and found derivative at 0 = 2, at 1 = -1, and at 2 = 2 so the first and third are unstable and the second is stable. I'm confused on how to find eigenvalues for just one equation because I'm used to doing it for 2 equations. Have I already done it by evaluating the equilibrium points at the derivative and those are the eigenvalues or is there more to it? Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?