1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues homework problem

1. Jan 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that lambda = 1 is an eigenvalue of the matrix

2,-1, 6
    3,-3, 27
    1,-1, 7

and find the eigenvalues and the corresponding eigenvectors

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont understand how to actually get eigenvalues and eigenvectors
    could someone help me out please
    =]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Eigenvalues

Do you understand the definition of "eigenvalue"? "[itex]\alpha[/itex]" is an eigenvaue of matrix A if and only if there is some non-zero vector, v, such that [itex]Av= \alpha v[/itex].

In particular, "1" is an eigenvalue of this matrix if and only if
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 &-1 & 6 \\ 3 & -3 & 27 \\ 1 & -1 & 7\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}= 1\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    for some not all of x, y, z zero.

Multiplying that left side gives
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}2x- y+ 6z \\3x- 3y+ 27z \\ x- y+ 7z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now, solve that using whatever method (row reduction, determinants, etc.) you choose. The most basic is to write that as the system of equations
    2x- y+ 6z= x, 3x- 3y+ 27z= y, and x- y+ 7z= z. Those are the same as x- y+ 6z= 0, 3x- 2y+ 27z= 0, and x- y+ 6z= 0.

Notice that the first and second equations are the same- we really have only two equations, not 3 and so there is no unique answer. That had to happen. Obviously, v= 0 is a solution to [itex]Av= \alpha v[/itex] for any A and [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Saying there is a non-zero vector such that that is true means there is NO "unique" answer.

Getting back to our equations: if we multiply x- y+ 6z= 0 by 2 we get 2x- 2y+ 12z= 0 while the second equation above was 3x- 2y+ 27z= 0. Subtracting 2x- 2y+ 12z= 0 from that, x+ 15z= 0 so x= -15z. That's as far as we can go, we cannot solve for a specific 5value of x. But putting x= -15z into x- y+ 6z= 0 gives -15x- y+ 6z= 0 or y= -7z.

What does that mean? That means that any vector of the form v= <15z, -7z, z> satisfies Av= v, no matter what z is. Any such vector, for non-zero z, is an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex].

More generally, if [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex], then [itex]Av- \lambda v= (A- \lamba I)v= 0[/itex]. The point of writing it that way is that equation always has the solution v= 0 and will have a non-zero answer only if v= 0 is not unique. If [itex]A- \lambda I[/itex] had an inverse matrix, then we could multiply on both sides by that inverse and get the unique answer [itex]v= (A- \lambda I)^{-1}0= 0[/itex]. That is, [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex] has a non-zero solution if and only if [itex]A- \lambda I[/itex] is not invertible which is the same as saying it has determinant 0.

The "eigenvalue equation" or "characteristic equation" for matrix A is "[itex]det(A- \lambda I)= 0[/itex]". For your example, that is
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}2-\lambda & -1 & 6 \\ 3 & -3-\lambda & 27 \\ 1 & -1 & 7-\lambda \end{array}\right|= 0[/tex]
    Working out that determinant on the left will give you a cubic polynomial equation (the "eigenvalue equation" or "characteristic equation" for an n by n matrix is typically an [itex]n^{th}[/itex] degree polynomial). Since you already know that [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] is a solution, you can reduce it to a quadratic equation for the other two eigenvalues.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. Jan 4, 2010 #3

ok i got to the cubic polynomial and just want to check that i have the right polynomial

im rubbish with latex so let x = lambda

x3+6x2+20x=0

i then simplified to get

-x(x2-6x-20)=0

5. Jan 4, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unfortunately, there is one serious problem with that! Remember that you were asked to show that "1" is an eigenvalue? (It is.) But [itex]1^3+ 5(1)+ 10= 26[/itex], not 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook