1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues homework

1. Apr 28, 2006 #1
    matrix [tex]A = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}3&0&0 \\ 0&3&0 \\3&0&0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

has two real eigenvalues lambda_1=3 of multiplicity 2, and lambda_2=0 of multiplicity 1. find the eigenspace.

[tex]A = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}3-3 &0&0 \\ 0&3-3&0 \\3&0&0-3 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]A = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}0 &0&0 \\ 0&0&0 \\3&0&-3 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]A = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&0&-1 \\ 0&0&0 \\0&0&0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

that means the eigenspace for lambda_1 is the column vector [0 1 0] and [1 0 1]

for lambda_2, there will be two different eigenspaces such that...

[tex]A = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&0&0 \\ 0&1&0 \\0&0&0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

I know the answer has two vectors, how do i get two vectors when I have 4 that defines the eigenspace?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks correct up to here ...
    How do you get that ?

4. Apr 28, 2006 #3

J77

Is your eigenvector for [tex]\lambda_3[/tex] not [tex]v_3=(0, 0, k)^T,\;k\in\mathbb{R}[/tex], and for [tex]\lambda_{1,2}[/tex] not [tex]v_{1,2}=(k_1,k_2,k_1)^T,\;k_{1,2}\in\matbb{R}[/tex]?

5. Apr 28, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If
    [tex]A = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&0&0 \\ 0&1&0 \\0&0&0 \end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x \\y\\ z\end{array}\right)= \left(\begin{array}{c}0 \\ 0 \\0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]
    Which says x= 0, y= 0. Looks to me like you have just a one dimensional eigen space, spanned by (0, 0, 1)T.

6. Apr 28, 2006 #5
    oh right, so three vectors then... [0, 0, 1], [0 1 0] and [1 0 1]

the solution gives 2 vectors, how would I find the eigenspace from 3 vectors?

7. Apr 28, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

WHAT solution gives 2 vectors and what eigenspace are you talking about?

Not all texts use that terminology but I think by "eigenspace" you mean the sub-space consisting of eigenvectors haveing the same eigenvalue. In this case, you have two distinct "eigenspaces", one having dimension 2 and the other dimension 1.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  8. Apr 28, 2006 #7

J77

Depending on the definition, I think you could also use the general eigenvectors that I gave and form your basis by sticking in ones and zeroes.

9. Apr 28, 2006 #8

yeah right.

If you start with a three dimensional square hermitian matrix, you'll get a 3D eigenspace. period. If you have degenerate eigenvalues - like you do, then you get one unambiguous eigenvector (for the eigenvalue 0) and a 2D eigenspace (corresponding to the degenerate eigenvalue 1) from which you have the freedom of choosing any two linearly independent eigenvectors.

10. Apr 28, 2006 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's not the question I was responding to.
    (And, the matrix we are talking about is not Hermitian.)

11. Apr 28, 2006 #10
    so... there are three vectors the span the space... this is because:

[tex]\lambda_1=3[/tex]

[tex]A = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&0&-1 \\ 0&0&0 \\0&0&0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex] \left(\begin{array}{c}a \\b \\c \end{array}\right) = s \left(\begin{array}{c}0 \\1 \\0 \end{array}\right) + t \left(\begin{array}{c}1 \\0 \\1 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

[tex]\lambda_1=0[/tex]

[tex]A = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&0&0 \\ 0&1&0 \\0&0&0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex] \left(\begin{array}{c}a \\b \\c \end{array}\right) = u \left(\begin{array}{c}0 \\0 \\1 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

so, there are three linearly independent vetors that span the eigenspace

they are: [tex] \left(\begin{array}{c}0 \\0 \\1 \end{array}\right) , \left(\begin{array}{c}0 \\1 \\0 \end{array}\right) , \left(\begin{array}{c}1 \\0 \\1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

however, my solution is telling me that I need two vectors instead of three such that:
    [tex] \left(\begin{array}{c}a \\b \\c \end{array}\right) , \left(\begin{array}{c}d \\e \\f \end{array}\right) [/tex]

12. Apr 28, 2006 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then what was the question? Yes, the three vectors span the space- it is, after all, 3 dimensional.

"my solution is telling me that I need two vectors". Your solution? What solution are you talking about? Your matrix has two distinct eigenvalues, 3 and 0. The eigenspace corresponding to 3 is two dimensional and is spanned by
    [tex] \left(\begin{array}{c}1 \\0 \\1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}0 \\1 \\0 \end{array}\right) [/tex]
    The eigenspace corresponding to 0 is one dimensional and is spanned by
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}0 \\0 \\1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Those three vectors, of course, span all of R3.

13. Apr 28, 2006 #12
    oh whoops, I was to find the eigenspace for only [tex]\lambda_1=3[/tex]

so I didnt have to take into account [tex]\lambda_2[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?