1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues of an operator

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    Hi, everyone!

While I was studying for my midterm, I encountered this question.
    Consider the hermitian operator H that has the property that
    H4 = 1
    What are the eigenvalues of the operator H?
    What are the eigenvalues if H is not restricted to being Hermitian?

What I am going to ask is that does it matter this operator have a different power like H6 or H5? I mean what is the role of the power in this question? Also, I couldn't figure out that how I can find the eigenvalues of such operator when it is not Hermitian?

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assume a finite dimensional vector space on which H acts. Can you write the characteristic equation for H ?
  4. Dec 14, 2008 #3
    I think you can do it simple like this:

Let E be an eigenvector of H with eigenvalue e:

H E = e E

Then H^4 E = e H^3 E = e^2 H^2 E = ....

And use H^4 E = E since H^4 = 1.

This gives you an general equation for the eigenvalues. Now when H is hermitian the eigenvalues must be real, and this restricts the solutions to the equation obtained.
  5. Dec 15, 2008 #4
    Isn't it H*[tex]\Psi[/tex] = E * [tex]\Psi[/tex]?
  6. Dec 15, 2008 #5
    Also, can I say that since H^4 = 1, then one eigenvalue of it is 1 and if H were not a Hermitian operator, one eigenvalue would be i, since H^2 = -1 or 1?
  7. Dec 15, 2008 #6
    Let me just post the solution, u are very close anyway:

Let E be an eigenvector of H with eigenvalue e:

H E = e E

Then we have:

H^4 E = e H^3 E = e^2 H^2 E = e^3 H E = e^4 E.

You simply let one H act on E in each step.

Since you have H^4 = 1 we have:

H^4 E = E = e^4 E.

So all you need to solve is:

e^4 = 1.

If H is hermitian it has 4 solutions. But if H is not Hermitian the complex eigenvalues are ruled out and you only have the real solutions.
  8. Dec 15, 2008 #7
    Student111, thanks for your answer, but I guess H has 2 values if H is hermitian, if it isn't, it has 4?
  9. Dec 15, 2008 #8
    exactly, i mistyped.

Nonhermitian: 1, -1, i, -i.

And only 1,-1 if it is hermitian.
  10. Dec 15, 2008 #9

Homework Helper

That's a good thing. Not all operators are guarunteed to be diagnonalizable, but Hermitian is an example that is. Of course, since a power of the operator is unity (i.e. the identity operator), they are hinting that H is at least unitary, which is also diagonalizable.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?