1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues of Hermitian operators

1. Oct 16, 2006 #1
    Hi again,

Question: [tex]\hat{A} [/tex] is an Hermitian Operator. If [tex]\hat{A}^{2}=2[/tex], find the eigenvalues of [tex]\hat{A}[/tex]

So We have:
    [tex] \hat{A}\left|\Psi\right\rangle=a\left|\Psi\right\rangle [/tex]

But I actually don't know how to even begin. [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] is a general Hermitian operator, and I don't know where even [tex]\hat{A}^{2}[/tex] would fit in with the question asked.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
    -Rick

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A2v = A(Av).

4. Oct 16, 2006 #3
    Umm...

[tex]\hat{A}\left(\hat{A}\left|\Psi\right\rangle\right) = a\left(a\left|\Psi\right\rangle\right) [/tex]

[tex]\hat{A}^{2}\left|\Psi\right\rangle = a^{2}\left|\Psi\right\rangle [/tex]

[tex]2\left|\Psi\right\rangle = a^{2}\left|\Psi\right\rangle [/tex]

[tex]a = \sqrt{2}[/tex] ?

I'm not sure...

5. Oct 16, 2006 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you get the first equation? What's [itex]|\Psi \rangle[/itex]? What's [itex]a[/itex]? How do you get a = [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], and not, say, [itex]-\sqrt{2}[/itex]? I mean, you have the right idea, but you haven't put that right idea into the form of a proper proof.

6. Oct 16, 2006 #5
    Well, I'm using Dirac bracket notation to be consistent with the rest of my work, and ket space is just a real space, so it's same thing as \

[tex] \hat{A}^{2}\Psi = a^{2}\Psi [/tex]

where a is the eigenvalue of the Hermitian operator.

You're right, a can be negative too, but is the final answer really [tex] a=\pm\sqrt{2}[/tex]? It seems too simple to be true.

7. Oct 16, 2006 #6
    Well, I'm using Dirac bracket notation to be consistent with the rest of my work, and ket space is just a real space, so it's same thing as \

[tex] \hat{A}^{2}\Psi = a^{2}\Psi [/tex]

where a is the eigenvalue of the Hermitian operator.

You're right, a can be negative too, but is the final answer really [tex] a=\pm\sqrt{2}[/tex]? It seems too simple to be true.

8. Oct 16, 2006 #7

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I understand the notation, but you just introduced [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]|\Psi \rangle[/itex] without saying a thing about them. Okay, so [itex]a[/itex] is an eigenvalue of [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] and [itex]|\Psi \rangle[/itex] is a (non-zero) eigenvector corresponding to [itex]a[/itex].

[tex]2|\Psi \rangle = \hat{A}^2|\Psi \rangle = \hat{A}(\hat{A}|\Psi \rangle ) = \hat{A}(a|\Psi \rangle ) = a(\hat{A}|\Psi \rangle) = a(a|\Psi \rangle) = a^2|\Psi \rangle[/tex]

Therefore [itex]a = \pm \sqrt{2}[/itex]. Note there is some indeterminacy. [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] could have all it's eigenvalues positive, or all negative, or some positive and some negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?