Eigenvalues of Hermitian operators

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator, with the given condition that the operator's square is equal to 2. Through the use of Dirac bracket notation, it is determined that the eigenvalues a can be either positive or negative, with a possible indeterminacy due to the operator's potential positive and negative eigenvalues.
kcirick
Hi again,

Question: [tex]\hat{A} [/tex] is an Hermitian Operator. If [tex]\hat{A}^{2}=2[/tex], find the eigenvalues of [tex]\hat{A}[/tex]

So We have:
[tex] \hat{A}\left|\Psi\right\rangle=a\left|\Psi\right\rangle [/tex]

But I actually don't know how to even begin. [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] is a general Hermitian operator, and I don't know where even [tex]\hat{A}^{2}[/tex] would fit in with the question asked.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
-Rick

Physics news on Phys.org
A2v = A(Av).

Umm...

[tex]\hat{A}\left(\hat{A}\left|\Psi\right\rangle\right) = a\left(a\left|\Psi\right\rangle\right) [/tex]

[tex]\hat{A}^{2}\left|\Psi\right\rangle = a^{2}\left|\Psi\right\rangle [/tex]

[tex]2\left|\Psi\right\rangle = a^{2}\left|\Psi\right\rangle [/tex]

[tex]a = \sqrt{2}[/tex] ?

I'm not sure...

How did you get the first equation? What's [itex]|\Psi \rangle[/itex]? What's [itex]a[/itex]? How do you get a = [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], and not, say, [itex]-\sqrt{2}[/itex]? I mean, you have the right idea, but you haven't put that right idea into the form of a proper proof.

Well, I'm using Dirac bracket notation to be consistent with the rest of my work, and ket space is just a real space, so it's same thing as \

[tex] \hat{A}^{2}\Psi = a^{2}\Psi [/tex]

where a is the eigenvalue of the Hermitian operator.

You're right, a can be negative too, but is the final answer really [tex] a=\pm\sqrt{2}[/tex]? It seems too simple to be true.

Well, I'm using Dirac bracket notation to be consistent with the rest of my work, and ket space is just a real space, so it's same thing as \

[tex] \hat{A}^{2}\Psi = a^{2}\Psi [/tex]

where a is the eigenvalue of the Hermitian operator.

You're right, a can be negative too, but is the final answer really [tex] a=\pm\sqrt{2}[/tex]? It seems too simple to be true.

I understand the notation, but you just introduced [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]|\Psi \rangle[/itex] without saying a thing about them. Okay, so [itex]a[/itex] is an eigenvalue of [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] and [itex]|\Psi \rangle[/itex] is a (non-zero) eigenvector corresponding to [itex]a[/itex].

[tex]2|\Psi \rangle = \hat{A}^2|\Psi \rangle = \hat{A}(\hat{A}|\Psi \rangle ) = \hat{A}(a|\Psi \rangle ) = a(\hat{A}|\Psi \rangle) = a(a|\Psi \rangle) = a^2|\Psi \rangle[/tex]

Therefore [itex]a = \pm \sqrt{2}[/itex]. Note there is some indeterminacy. [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] could have all it's eigenvalues positive, or all negative, or some positive and some negative.

1. What are eigenvalues of Hermitian operators?

The eigenvalues of Hermitian operators are the set of values that satisfy the eigenvalue equation, which is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an operator and its corresponding eigenvectors. These values represent the possible outcomes of measurements on the system described by the operator.

2. How are eigenvalues of Hermitian operators calculated?

Eigenvalues of Hermitian operators can be calculated by finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial of the operator. This involves solving a set of linear equations and then finding the corresponding eigenvalues.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues of Hermitian operators?

The eigenvalues of Hermitian operators have several important implications in quantum mechanics. They determine the allowed energy levels of a quantum system and the corresponding probabilities of observing these energy levels. They also play a crucial role in determining the dynamics and evolution of quantum systems.

4. How do the eigenvalues of Hermitian operators relate to quantum measurements?

When a quantum system is measured, the measured value corresponds to one of the eigenvalues of the Hermitian operator representing the observable being measured. The probability of obtaining a particular eigenvalue is determined by the square of the coefficient of the corresponding eigenvector in the state vector of the system.

5. Can eigenvalues of Hermitian operators be complex numbers?

In general, the eigenvalues of Hermitian operators are real numbers. However, there are certain cases where the eigenvalues may be complex numbers, such as when dealing with time-dependent systems. In these cases, the imaginary part of the eigenvalue represents the frequency of oscillations in the system.