Eigenvalues of the metric?

  • Thread starter lethe
  • Start date
656
0
the signature of a metric is often defined to be the number of positive eigenvalues minus negative eigenvalues of the metric.

this definition has always seemed a little suspicious to me. eigenvalues are defined for endomorphisms of a linear space, whereas the metric is a bilinear functional on the vector space. it is not clear to me how one would write down an eigenvalue equation for the metric.

insofar as the metric can always be written as a matrix in local coordinates, i guess you can just shutup and pretend that it is a linear transformation, and calculate its eigenvalues, but it seems to me to be a suspicious procedure.

any thoughts?
 
512
0
This will be nothing new to you, but if you have any metric on a vector space V, it can be written as
|v| = <v|M|v>
where M is a linear operator on V, so it sure must have eigenvalues...
 

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
14,845
17
I think lethe is referring to the fact that, to be perfectly strict, when applying the metric to a vector, the result is a dual vector.


In any case, the definition I've read for the signature is to diagonalize the metric and look at the diagonal entries. For matrices, those are precisely the eigenvalues, but the definition works for any rank 2 tensor.
 
Last edited:
512
0
Yes. But the problem may be that the 'number of eigenvalues' is not finite. For example, in quantum physics, the vector v may be a wavefunction. The metric M will then be some integral operator, and I can understand why lethe finds it suspicious to talk about a 'number of ... eigenvalues'.
 
656
0
Originally posted by arcnets
This will be nothing new to you, but if you have any metric on a vector space V, it can be written as
|v| = <v|M|v>
where M is a linear operator on V, so it sure must have eigenvalues...
umm.. well i ve seen the statement that any bilinear form can be written at vtMw, but for now i don t want to talk about that, it seems very coordinate dependent.

as for your equation, the way i am used to it, in bra-ket notation (which is a coordinate independent notation), <v| already has incorporated the metric: it is the linear functional that takes |w> to g(v,w). in this case, |v|2=<v|M|v> if and only if M=1. this is another way of saying that <v|w> is just another notation for the inner product. in other words, your M matrix is extraneous.

Originally posted by arcnets
Yes. But the problem may be that the 'number of eigenvalues' is not finite. For example, in quantum physics, the vector v may be a wavefunction. The metric M will then be some integral operator, and I can understand why lethe finds it suspicious to talk about a 'number of ... eigenvalues'.
assume a finite dimensional vector space.

Originally posted by Hurkyl

In any case, the definition I've read for the signature is to diagonalize the metric and look at the diagonal entries. For matrices, those are precisely the eigenvalues, but the definition works for any rank 2 tensor.
yeah? actually, perhaps that is the definition that i know too. thing is, i see the word "diagonalize", and i think eigenvalue equation. i have no idea how to diagonalize any kind of second rank tensor, unless it is a linear transformation.

how would you diagonalize a second rank tensor in general?
 
656
0
oh duh. gram-schmidt.
 

jeff

Science Advisor
658
1
Given a metric g, &exist; a basis {ui} of Tp(M) at each point p of a connected manifold M with g(ui,uj) = &plusmn;&delta;ij. Expressing one such basis in terms of another shows that the integer &sum;i g(ui,ui) is basis-independent. So if g is continuous on M, &sum;i g(ui,ui) is constant.
 
Last edited:
656
0
Originally posted by jeff
Given a metric g, &exist; a basis {ui} of Tp(M) at each point p of a connected manifold M with g(ui,uj) = &plusmn;&delta;ij. Expressing one such basis in terms of another shows that the integer &sum;i g(ui,ui) is basis-independent. So if g is continuous on M, &sum;i g(ui,ui) is constant.
i see. thanks.

and am i correct in saying that gram-schmidt is the way to show that there exists such a basis?
 

jeff

Science Advisor
658
1
Originally posted by lethe
am i correct in saying that gram-schmidt is the way to show that there exists such a basis?
Yes, in that gram-schmidt is needed to prove that finite-dimensional inner product spaces have orthonormal bases.
 

Related Threads for: Eigenvalues of the metric?

Replies
8
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
2
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
5
Views
4K
  • Posted
Replies
7
Views
10K
  • Posted
Replies
8
Views
1K
Replies
8
Views
15K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top