Eigenvalues proof

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let A=LU and B=UL, where U is an upper triangular matrix and L is a lower triangular matrix. Demonstrate that A and B have the same eigenvalues.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if I can show that A and B are similar (so if I can find a matrix P such that P^(-1)AP=B) they have the same eigenvalues. But I didn't find P yet, nor do I know really how to search efficiently for P.

Another route I've thought of is to write det (I*lambda-A)=0 gives the same values for lambda as det (I*lambda-B)=0. I've thought of using det (A)=det (LU)=det L * det U = det U * det L = det B... but still can't reach anything I find useful.
Any tip is greatly appreciated.

Answers and Replies

lanedance
Homework Helper
how about multiplying thorugh by the inverse of L.. you may need to show it exists

Try to write A in terms of B (or the other way around), and see what you get!

Last edited:
lanedance
Homework Helper
hint was probably enough

fluidistic
Gold Member
LU=U^(-1)ULU=LU so the equality is true. Notice that LU=A and UL=B. I have that P=U, thus LU is similar to UL (A similar to B) so they share the same eigenvalues.

Now I must justify the use of the inverse of U. Well I believe its element on the diagonal are all non zero. So if the matrix is nxn, the span of its column vector is R^n so it is invertible, hence U^-1 exists.

Is that well justified?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
LU=U^(-1)ULU=LU so the equality is true. Notice that LU=A and UL=B. I have that P=U, thus LU is similar to UL (A similar to B) so they share the same eigenvalues.

Now I must justify the use of the inverse of U. Well I believe its element on the diagonal are all non zero. So if the matrix is nxn, the span of its column vector is R^n so it is invertible, hence U^-1 exists.

Is that well justified?
It would be if the problem stated that the elements of U along the diagonal are nonzero. Does it? Other versions of this problem I've found say that L or U is a UNIT triangular matrix. Did you miss a word in the problem statement?

Last edited:
fluidistic
Gold Member
It would be if the problem stated that the elements of U along the diagonal are nonzero. Does it? Other versions of this problem I've found say that L or U is a UNIT triangular matrix. Did you miss a word in the problem statement?
You pointed out a very interesting thing to me. In my assignment it isn't specified. But most of the exercises assigned are taken from Kincaid's book on numerical analysis. I just checked there and it clearly states L to be UNITARY.
If only they had stated this in my assignment I could have guessed that I had to take the inverse of L. :) Well I'm not 100% sure but probably.
So basically the problem is solved now... thanks guys.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You pointed out a very interesting thing to me. In my assignment it isn't specified. But most of the exercises assigned are taken from Kincaid's book on numerical analysis. I just checked there and it clearly states L to be UNITARY.
If only they had stated this in my assignment I could have guessed that I had to take the inverse of L. :) Well I'm not 100% sure but probably.
So basically the problem is solved now... thanks guys.
Their bad. Very welcome.