Can an Invertible Matrix Have Zero as an Eigenvalue?

• Thread starter Batman2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary, the homework statement is that B cannot have zero as an eigenvalue. However, if \lambda is an eigenvalue of B, then \lambda^{-1}^ is also an eigenvalue of B^{-1}.
Batman2

Homework Statement

Let B be an invertible matrix

a.) Verify that B cannot have zero as an eigenvalue.

b.) Verify that if [tex]\lambda[/tex] is an eigenvalue of B, then [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]^{-1}^[/tex] is an eigenvalue of B[tex]^{-1}[/tex].

Homework Equations

Bv = [tex]\lambda[/tex]v, where v[tex]\neq[/tex]0

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) I'm pretty sure that I need to manipulate the eigenvalues definition above so that I end up with v = 0, thus contradicting the definition.

What I have so far is:
Bv = [tex]\lambda[/tex]v
B[tex]^{-1}[/tex]Bv = B[tex]^{-1}[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex]v
Iv = B[tex]^{-1}[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex]v
v = [tex]\lambda[/tex]B[tex]^{-1}[/tex]v
If [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 0
v = 0, which contradicts the definition for eigenvalues where v[tex]\neq[/tex]0
Therefore [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\neq[/tex]0

I think I am missing some crucial steps and kinda jumped ahead in my working. Am I on the right track? How can I approach this problem properly?

b.) I'm thinking of a similar approach for b.), where I would need to use the above definition and multiply through by the inverse B, and then maybe take the reciprocal of lambda.

However I'm not sure given that I can't do the first part yet. Any help would be much appreciated.Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
Batman2 said:
b.) I'm thinking of a similar approach for b.), where I would need to use the above definition and multiply through by the inverse B, and then maybe take the reciprocal of lambda.

Normally, I'd say that looks like it'd work, but I am not sure as I only did this topic like 3 years ago.

and for the first one, I'd just use what the product of the eigenvalues would give in relation to B and then show how it would contradict the statement of what B is given [itex]\lambda=0[/itex]

Batman2 said:
I think I am missing some crucial steps and kinda jumped ahead in my working. Am I on the right track? How can I approach this problem properly?
I suspect that it's that eerie feeling you get when you really start to understand something, and are surprised at how straightforward it all seems!

Just to organize what you've done a little bit (and probably with too much detail), your arithmetic has shown

Given a vector v, scalar [itex]\lambda[/itex], and matrix B:

If [itex]Bv = \lambda v[/itex] and B is invertible
Then [itex]v = \lambda B^{-1} v[/itex]

If, in addition, [itex]\lambda = 0[/itex],
Then [itex]v = 0[/itex]
And you have correctly argued
If B is invertible, [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue, and [itex]\lambda = 0[/itex]
Then we have a contradiction​
And correctly concluded
If B is invertible, [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue
Then [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex]​

For (b), if [itex]Bv= \lamba v[/itex] then, as you have, [itex]B^{-1}Bv= B^{-1}\lambda v[/itex] or [itex]v= \lambda B^{-1}v[/itex]. Now divide on both sides by [itex]\lambda[/itex].

I remember doing these problems. I think this is how I did part a:

Bv=[tex]\lambda[/tex]v
Bv-[tex]\lambda[/tex]v=0
(B-[tex]\lambda[/tex])v=0

If [tex]\lambda[/tex]=0 then Bv=0 which can only happen if B is not invertible, which is a contradiction.

As for part b: If Bv= [tex]\lambda[/tex]v then B-1v=[tex]\lambda[/tex]-1v
Then B-1v-[tex]\lambda[/tex]-1v=0
(B-1-[tex]\lambda[/tex]-1)v=0 and you now have the definition of an eigenvalue, where [tex]\lambda[/tex]-1 is an eigenvalue for B-1.

Last edited:
You know, you guys shouldn't be doing his homework for him. :grumpy:

Fortunately, from the opening poster's comments, I'm sure he had worked it out already.

What are eigenvalues and why are they important?

Eigenvalues are a mathematical concept used in linear algebra. They represent the values that satisfy a particular equation known as the characteristic equation. Eigenvalues are important because they provide information about the behavior and properties of a matrix, and are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

How do you find eigenvalues?

To find eigenvalues, you first need to find the characteristic equation of a matrix. This involves subtracting the identity matrix from the original matrix, taking the determinant, and setting it equal to zero. The solutions to this equation are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

What is the significance of the eigenvectors associated with eigenvalues?

The eigenvectors associated with eigenvalues are important because they represent the directions in which the matrix acts as a simple scaling operation. They also form a basis for the vector space in which the matrix operates.

Can a matrix have multiple eigenvalues?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvalues. The number of eigenvalues a matrix has is equal to its dimension. However, a matrix can have repeated eigenvalues, meaning that some eigenvalues may have the same value.

How are eigenvalues used in data analysis?

Eigenvalues are used in data analysis to reduce the dimensionality of a dataset. This is known as principal component analysis (PCA). By finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a dataset, we can identify the most important features and reduce the dimensionality for easier analysis and visualization.