1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvector and eigenvalues

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    Hey all,

I have two matrices A,B which commute than I have to show that these eigenvectors provide a unique classification of the eigenvectors of H?

From these pairs of eigenvalue is it possible to obtain the eigenvectors?

I dont quite know how to procede any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

What is H?
  4. Oct 29, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This makes no sense. Obviously, the eigenvectors of A and B will tell you nothing about the eigenvectors of some arbitrary third matrix H. What relationships are there between A, B, and H?

Yes. Look closely at how A and B are related to H.
  5. Oct 29, 2006 #4
    Sorry not H but A the same matrix
  6. Oct 29, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

So you're asking if the eigenvectors of B determine the eigenvectors of A, given that A and B commute? This doesn't sound right, since the identity matrix commutes with everything. You can narrow down the possible eigenvectors of A, but you won't get a "unique classification."
  7. Oct 30, 2006 #6
    to see if I understand correctly - let's assume that the matrix A har the eigenvalues {1,2,2} and the matrix B has the eigenvalues {-1,1,1} - then it is possible to construct the eigenvectors of B according to the common unique pairs of A and B( (1,1),(2,1),(2,-1)) giving the following eigenvectors: (1,0,0) , (0,1,1) , (0,-1,1) ?

And had it not been possible with unique pairs of eigenvalues would the eigenvectors not be orthogonanle?

Thanks in advance
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?