Calculating Eigenvectors and Eigenvalues for a Given Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors for a given matrix. The student initially finds the eigenvalues to be -4 and 3, but has trouble finding the correct eigenvector for -4. Another student suggests they may have made a calculation error and offers some tips for finding the correct eigenvector.
Pr0grammer

Homework Statement

Find the eigenvalues and the eigenvectors for the given matrix.

Homework Equations

[tex]\[
A =
\left[ {\begin{array}{ccc}
-1 & 6 & 2 \\
0 & 5 & -6 \\
1 & 0 & -2 \\
\end{array} } \right]
\][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved [tex]A-\lambda I = 0[/tex] and got eigenvalues of -4 and 3, which I've confirmed as correct. After that, to solve for the eigenvalue of -4:
[tex]\[
A+4I =
3 & 6 & 2 \\
0 & 9 & -6 \\
1 & 0 & 2 \\
\end{array} } \right]
\][/tex] ~ [tex]\[
1 & 0 & 2 \\
0 & 1 & -2/3 \\
0 & 0 & 0 \\
\end{array} } \right]
\][/tex]

so [tex]\vec x = a \[
\left[ {\begin{array}{c}
-2 \\
2/3 \\
1 \\
\end{array} } \right]
\][/tex] for all a≠0.

...however, according to two different calculators, [tex]\vec x = a \[
\left[ {\begin{array}{c}
1.1872 \\
-.3957 \\
-.5936 \\
\end{array} } \right]
\][/tex]

...which I've verified as being a working solution, while with mine:

[tex]( A + 4 I ) \vec x =\[
\left[ {\begin{array}{c}
-2 \\
6 \\
-2 \\
\end{array} } \right]
\][/tex] - all values should equal zero, which they do with the calculated solution. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've just made a calculation error while checking your work. I just did the multiplication and (A+4I)x=0. Somehow when you multiplied the matrix by x you came up with just the negative of the third column in (A+4I). Try it again and if you're still having the same problem try googling "Matrix Multiplication" and make sure you're using the correct process.

Your eigenvector works for the eigenvalue -4. You need to do the same for eigen value 3, I don't think it's possible to find 3 L.I. eigenvectors though!

[tex] \left(\begin{array}{c}
1 \\
\frac{3}{2} \\
\end{array} \right) [/tex]

that is a "nice" vector to put in P though!

Doh. I entered 0 in my calculator instead of 1 for the last value of x. Thanks anyways :)

1. What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a vector that does not change its direction when multiplied by a square matrix.

2. What is the significance of eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are important in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and data analysis. They provide information about the structure and behavior of a system.

3. How are eigenvectors calculated?

Eigenvectors are calculated by solving a linear system of equations, where the matrix representing the system is multiplied by a vector and the resulting vector is equal to a scalar multiple of the original vector.

4. What is the relationship between eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues are the scalar multiples associated with each eigenvector. They represent the amount by which the eigenvector is stretched or compressed when multiplied by the matrix.

5. Can eigenvectors be complex numbers?

Yes, eigenvectors can be complex numbers. In fact, complex eigenvectors often arise in systems with imaginary or complex components.