1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvector kernel problem

1. Jun 20, 2005 #1
    If you have the following kernel (I think that's what it's called):

[tex]A-\lambda I=\begin{pmatrix}4 & 1 \\ 4 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

You could write the eigenvector as:

[tex]\operatorname{span}\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ -4\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

My question is: does it matter how you write the "span" part of it?

For instance, would [tex]\operatorname{span}\begin{pmatrix}-1 \\ 4\end{pmatrix}[/tex] be preferred (or different) than what I have above?

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]A-\lambda I=\begin{pmatrix}4 & 1 \\ 4 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

doesn't make sense- there's no λ on the right hand side! Did you mean
    [tex]A=\begin{pmatrix}4 & 1 \\ 4 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex] and that is the linear operator you want to find eigenvectors for?

In that case, there are two eigenvalues: 0 and 2.

Taking 0 as the eigenvalue leads to 4x-y=0 or y= 4x. The eigenvectors are spaned by [1, 4] (not [-1, 4]).
    Taking 2 as the eigenvalue leads to 4x-y= 2x or y= -2x. The eigenvectors are spanned by [1, -2].

Because the "span" of a single vector is all real multiples of the vector, and -1 is a real number, it doesn't matter whether you use [-1, 4] or [1, -4] or [-1,2] instead of [1,-2].

4. Jun 20, 2005 #3
    Sorry, I should have elaborated. The original matrix (A) was:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}3 & 1 \\ 4 & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

And the eigenvalue I was using was -1. I didn't think that mattered in relation to my question (because my ? dealt with notation), but I don't really know all of the terms, so I appologize.

Thanks for answering though, the last part of your post answered my question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?