Solving Eigenvector Problem: A Guide

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between a non-singular matrix A, its eigenvalues li, and corresponding eigenvectors ui. The conversation mentions that the equation (A - l1 * I) * x = 0 can be satisfied by any vector of the form x = a1 * u1, where a1 is an arbitrary real number. It then goes on to mention that the quadratic equation (A - l1 * I) * (A - l2 * I) * x = 0 is satisfied by a linear combination of the first two eigenvectors, x = a1 * u1 + a2 * u2. The conversation ends with a request for a hint on how to prove this using
makris
Hi all,

I have the following question.

A = nxn non singular matrix
I = nxn identity matrix
li = eigevalues of A i=1,2...n
ui = eigenvectors corresponding to the previous eigenvalues.

It true that

( A - l1 * I ) * x =0

is satisfied by any vector of the form x = a1 * u1 where a1= arbitrary real number

Lanczos in his book Applied Analysis p. 61 claims that the following quadratic equation in A

( A - l1 * I ) * ( A - l2 * I ) * x = 0

is satisfied by an arbitrary linear combination of the first two eigenvectors

x = a1 * u1 + a2 * u2

It is not very obvious to me why this happens.
(Extending this to include n eigenvectors and eigenvalues will eventually lead to the so called Cayley-Hamilton theorem.)

I was wondering if you could give me a hint starting from first principals.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
( A - l1 * I ) * ( A - l2 * I ) = ( A - l2 * I ) *( A - l1 * I )
so if
T=( A - l1 * I ) * ( A - l2 * I ) = ( A - l2 * I ) *( A - l1 * I )
T(a1 * u1)=a1*T(u1)=0
T(a2 * u2)=a1*T(u2)=0
hence by linearity
T(a1 * u1 + a2 * u2)=0

for sharing your question and thoughts on solving the eigenvector problem. The first equation you mentioned is known as the eigenvalue equation, where the matrix A multiplied by an eigenvector u results in a scalar multiple of the same eigenvector, represented by the eigenvalue λ. This equation can be rewritten as (A-λI)u=0, where I is the identity matrix. This equation only has a non-trivial solution when the determinant of (A-λI) is equal to 0, which leads to the characteristic polynomial of A.

In the second equation, (A-λ1I)(A-λ2I)x=0, we can see that the first equation is satisfied by both λ1 and λ2, meaning that the product of the two matrices results in a zero matrix. This can be expanded to include any linear combination of the eigenvectors, as long as the corresponding eigenvalues are used. This is because when we multiply two matrices, the result is a linear combination of the columns of the second matrix, with coefficients determined by the entries of the first matrix. In this case, the first matrix is (A-λ1I) and the second matrix is (A-λ2I), so the resulting linear combination of columns will be a combination of the eigenvectors corresponding to λ1 and λ2.

Extending this to include all n eigenvectors and eigenvalues will lead to the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, which states that any square matrix satisfies its own characteristic polynomial. This can be proven using the same concept of multiplying matrices and linear combinations of eigenvectors.

I hope this helps to clarify the relationship between the two equations and how they can be extended to include multiple eigenvectors. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is essential in solving many problems in mathematics and physics. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a vector that does not change its direction when a linear transformation is applied to it. It can be thought of as a special direction in a vector space that remains unchanged when transformed.

2. Why is solving the eigenvector problem important?

Solving the eigenvector problem is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a linear transformation on a vector space. It is also useful in many applications, such as in physics, engineering, and data analysis.

3. How do you find the eigenvectors of a matrix?

To find the eigenvectors of a matrix, we first need to find its eigenvalues by solving the characteristic equation. Then, for each eigenvalue, we solve the corresponding eigenvector equation to find the eigenvector(s) associated with that eigenvalue.

4. What is the relationship between eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are related in that the eigenvectors of a matrix are the directions along which the matrix only scales the vector, and the corresponding eigenvalues represent the scale factor. In other words, the eigenvectors determine the direction and the eigenvalues determine the magnitude of the transformation.

5. Can there be more than one eigenvector for a single eigenvalue?

Yes, there can be multiple eigenvectors for a single eigenvalue. This is because the eigenvector equation has a non-unique solution, meaning there can be multiple vectors that satisfy the equation. However, the eigenvectors associated with a single eigenvalue must be linearly independent.